Null-homotopic, Retracts: Review for Prelims.

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Review
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that every map from CP^2 to S^1 x S^1 x S^1 is nullhomotopic, using the cell decomposition for CP^2 and the fact that the third homology is 0. It also considers whether the wedge of two RP^2 is a retract of RP^2 x RP^2, concluding that it is not due to the different homology groups. It also suggests using lifting of maps and the fundamental group to prove this.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, Everyone:

I am trying to help someone with their prelims, but ended up needing some help myself:

1)Show that every map f: CP^2--->S^1 x S^1 x S^1 is nullhomotopic

2)Is the wedge RP^2 \/RP^2 a retract of RP^2 x RP^2 ?

For 1), I think we need to use the cell decomposition for CP^2 somehow, or just use
the fact that the 3rd homology ( 3 being odd ) is 0 , so that the induced map on
3rd homology must be trivial.

For 2, all I can think is that if the wedge were a retract, then it would be homotopic
to the product , so that all homology/homotopy groups would be equal. I think the
answer is no, since the homology of the wedge is the free product, but the
homology of the product is given by Kunneth's theorem, and we get different groups.

Does this work? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think for #1 , you can use lifting of maps ; R^3 is a covering space for the 3-torus
maps lift if these maps satisfy a condition on the pushforward of the fundamental groups;
if the maps lift into R^3, then these maps are trivial, since R^3 is contractible, and
every map into a contractible space is trivial.

isn't the fundamental group of the wedge of two projective planes the free product of Z/2Z with Z/2Z where the fundamental group of the product is Z/2Z x Z/2Z?

no composition of group homomorphisms Z/2ZvZ/2Z -> Z/2Z x Z/2Z -> Z/2ZvZ/2Z
can be the identity.

1. What is the definition of a null-homotopic space?

A null-homotopic space is a topological space in which all continuous maps from the space into any other space can be continuously deformed to a constant map. This means that all loops in the space can be continuously shrunk to a point without leaving the space.

2. How is null-homotopy related to homotopy equivalence?

A space is null-homotopic if and only if it is homotopy equivalent to a single point. This means that a space that is null-homotopic is also homotopy equivalent to any other space that is homotopy equivalent to a single point.

3. What is the significance of null-homotopic spaces in algebraic topology?

Null-homotopic spaces play a significant role in algebraic topology because they are used to define the fundamental group of a space. The fundamental group captures important information about the space's topology and is used to study the space's properties.

4. Can a retract be null-homotopic?

Yes, a retract can be null-homotopic. A retract is a subspace of a topological space that is homeomorphic to the space itself. If the retract is also null-homotopic, then the subspace is homotopy equivalent to a single point.

5. How are null-homotopic spaces used in real-world applications?

Null-homotopic spaces are used in various real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to model and study systems that can be continuously deformed without changing their essential properties. They are also used in computer science to study algorithms and data structures that can be transformed without changing their functionality.