1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of decayed atoms in a simultaneous decay process

1. Jun 24, 2011 #1
    A certain amount [itex]N_0[/itex] of a radioactive isotope with decay constant [itex]\lambda_1[/itex] is injected into a pacient. Besides that isotope's natural decay process, there's also a biological elimination process, with decay constant [itex]\lambda_2[/itex].

Now, at time t, the number of remaining isotope atoms is given by [itex]N(t) = N_0 e^{-(\lambda_1 + \lambda_2) t} [/itex]. My question is, how do I calculate the number of atoms that, at time t, have decayed by *one* specific process (e.g. by radioactive decay alone)? I don't think I can use the above equation, with [itex]\lambda_1[/itex] instead of the sum, because such an equation would describe the number atoms assuming that that only one decay process is occuring (the one characterized by the used value of [itex]\lambda[/itex].

How to proceed then?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2
    Try working with your equation such that you can separate the contribution of each process.

Remember that you can freely separately the exponentials.

4. Jun 24, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your equation comes from solving N'=-lamba1*N-lambda2*N. Once you've found the total number of atoms as a function of time N(t) (as you've done) then the number of atoms going by one process or another is given by N'_rad(t)=-lambda1*N(t) and N'_elim(t)=-lambda2*N(t). Solve those.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook