Number of handshakes in a room

• Thread starter jonroberts74
  • Start date
In summary: Homework Statement as each new person arrives to a meeting, they shake hands of all who are present.prove the number [by induction] of occurred handshakes are \frac{n(n-1)}{2}The Attempt at a Solutionif no one shows up then clearly no handshakes are exchanged \frac{0(0-1)}{2} = 0assuming k people show up, there will be \frac{k(k-1)}{2} handshakesnow if one more person shows up, that will make a total of k+1 people and because one does not shake their own hand there will be k +1 -1 more shakes than when there where k people .
jonroberts74

Homework Statement

as each new person arrives to a meeting, they shake hands of all who are present.

prove the number [by induction] of occurred handshakes are [tex]\frac{n(n-1)}{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

if no one shows up then clearly no handshakes are exchanged

[tex]\frac{0(0-1)}{2} = 0[/tex]

assuming k people show up, there will be [tex]\frac{k(k-1)}{2}[/tex] handshakes

now if one more person shows up, that will make a total of k+1 people and because one does not shake their own hand there will be k +1 -1 more shakes than when there where k people .

there will be

[tex]\frac{(k+1)(k+1-1)}{2}[/tex] handshakes in total

[tex]=\frac{k^2+k-k+k+1-1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{k^2-K}{2} + \frac{k+k+1-1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{k(k-1)}{2} + k[/tex]

is this explained properly?

Physics news on Phys.org
jonroberts74 said:

Homework Statement

as each new person arrives to a meeting, they shake hands of all who are present.

prove the number [by induction] of occurred handshakes are [tex]\frac{n(n-1)}{2}[/tex]

now if one more person shows up, that will make a total of k+1 people and because one does not shake their own hand there will be k +1 -1 more shakes than when there where k people .

there will be

I don't follow that step. Aren't you assuming what you are trying to prove?

I felt like I was assuming but wasn't for sure.

I feel like there's a point where I need to state the new number of handshakes with each incoming person is the new total of people minus 1, so I don't know if I said that at the right time.

If there are ##k## people in the room your induction hypotheses says there have been ##\frac{(k-1)(k)}{2}## handshakes. If you now walk into the room, how many handshakes will you add (easy question)?

I'll add k handshakes

so start here

[tex]\frac{k(k-1)}{2} + k[/tex]

Yes. Simplify that and see if you get the right formula for ##k+1##. You worked it backwards originally.

In addition to above, I'm concerned about the basis case, ##n = 0##. In the context of the problem, I'm wondering why you did not chose ##n = 1## or ##n = 2##.

More explicitly: make certain that the inductive step works when ##k = 0## in the steps LCKurtz mentioned

jonroberts74 said:

Homework Statement

I would have stated this a little differently. If one more person arrives he must shake hands witheach of the k people who were already there so the number of handshakes is increased by k:
[tex]\frac{k(k-1)}{2}+ k[/tex]

there will be

HallsofIvy said:
I would have stated this a little differently. If one more person arrives he must shake hands witheach of the k people who were already there so the number of handshakes is increased by k:
[tex]\frac{k(k-1)}{2}+ k[/tex]

Apparently you didn't read posts 4, 5, and 6?

I didn't notice them, rereading all now

nvm, not to me.

so many long days, haha

Last edited:
Of course this can be done more simply without induction. Each of the n people must shake hands with each of the n-1 others which would give n(n-1) people shaking hands. But each hand shake involves 2 people so that is n(n-1)/2 hand shakes.

What is the "Number of Handshakes in a Room" problem?

The "Number of Handshakes in a Room" problem is a mathematical problem that involves determining the total number of handshakes that would occur if every person in a room were to shake hands with every other person.

What is the formula for calculating the number of handshakes in a room?

The formula for calculating the number of handshakes in a room is n(n-1)/2, where n represents the number of people in the room.

Why is the formula for calculating handshakes (n(n-1)/2) divided by 2?

The formula is divided by 2 because each handshake involves two people. Dividing by 2 ensures that the total number of handshakes is not counted twice.

How do we apply this problem in real life?

This problem can be applied in real life situations such as networking events, conferences, or social gatherings where people are meeting and introducing themselves to each other.

What factors can affect the number of handshakes in a room?

The number of handshakes in a room can be affected by the number of people present, the number of times people shake hands with each other, and the duration of the event. Other factors such as cultural norms and personal preferences may also influence the number of handshakes.