1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of links and joints in a linkage

1. Dec 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

23eae7.png

2. Relevant equations

M = 3(L – 1) – 2J

L= number of links, J = number of joints

3. The attempt at a solution

As far as I can see, using the above L and J values for each linkage yields the correct M value. However, the L and J values lead me to think I'm missing something.

Can someone explain why L = 4 for the first and second linkages? In the first one there are only 3 links and in the second linkage there are only 2 links. Also, surely for the second one J = 3 since there are only 3 visible joints?

Similarly, why does L = 5 for the bottom left linkage when there are only 4 links and why does L = 4 and J = 3 for the bottom right linkage when there are only 2 links and only 2 joints?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the first three, there is effectively a link between the two fixed platforms. The distance between them cannot change.
    The last one has three joints: one at the base, the slider itself, and a third at the top of the slider.
    I don't see a fourth link, but I know nothing of this subject so could be missing something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted