1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of modes in Cubic Cavity

1. Dec 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the number of modes in a cubic cavity of length a=2.5 cm in the wavelength interval (λ1,λ2) where λ1=500 nm and λ2=501 nm. What's the total energy which radiates from the cavity if it's kept at a constant temperature of T=1500 K.

2. Relevant equations
    I imagine these would be rather relevant: Number of modes in a cavity N= (8π/3)*(a/λ)^3 and the average energy for each mode which would be either k*T if we work with Rayleigh-Jeans or hν/e^(hν/kT)-1 if we work with Planck's derivation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought of simply finding the number of modes as N1-N2 where N1 is the number for λ1 and N2 for λ2, and then multiplying by the average energy (Which, could someone please double-check that formula? I might have misinterpreted it as average energy of a mode and it might be something different.) Of course, if we use Planck's formula I would find the frequency as being c/λ so no biggie there. I just want to know if it's the correct way to go about it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2016 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your formula are correct. And yes you may calculate N1-N2 that way. In this case, since the difference of wavelength is small compared to the wavelengths themselves, one could also take the derivative to find dN in terms of ##d \lambda## and use that to get dN directly.

4. Dec 15, 2016 #3
    Thank you! As for the radiant energy, would mere multiplication with N give me the right answer? I see no reason why it should not, just making sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted