1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of Paths Using Permutations

1. Dec 1, 2012 #1
    I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I'd appreciate it if I could obtain some verification.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the following grid:
    2ij0xw6.jpg

The goal is to move from point [itex]\alpha[/itex] to point [itex]\beta[/itex] to point [itex]\gamma[/itex] by moving along the edges of the grid from point to point. You can only move to the right or down from [itex]\alpha[/itex] to [itex]\beta[/itex], and you can only move left or up from [itex]\beta[/itex] to [itex]\gamma[/itex]. You cannot move outside the grid.

How many distinct paths are there from [itex]\alpha[/itex] to [itex]\beta[/itex] to [itex]\gamma[/itex]?

2. The attempt at a solution
    I split this into two parts. The first part, [itex]\alpha[/itex] to [itex]\beta[/itex], consists of some combination of moves, but always consists of moving down 4 times and to the right 4 times. Thus, the total number of paths will be [itex]\frac{8!}{4! \cdot 4!} = 70[/itex].

The second part is from [itex]\beta[/itex] to [itex]\gamma[/itex]. It's the same thing, but with 2 moves up and 2 moves left. Thus, the number of paths will be [itex]\frac{4!}{2! \cdot 2!} = 6[/itex].

Thus, the total number of paths is [itex]70 \cdot 6 = 420[/itex]. Am I correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Seems fine to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook