1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of squareful integers less than x

1. Aug 29, 2015 #1
    I'm doing the exercises from Introduction to Analytic Number Theory by A.J. Hildebrand (online pdf lecture notes) from Chapter 2: Arithmetic Functions II - Asymptotic Estimates, and some of them leave me stumped...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem 2.14:
    Obtain an asymptotic estimate with error term [itex]O(x^{\frac{1}{3}})[/itex] for the number of squarefull integers [itex] ≤ x [/itex], i.e., for the quantity [itex]S(x) = \left\{n ≤ x : p | n => p^{2} | n\right\} [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

The text describes a method known as the "convolution method" to evaluate sums of arithmetic functions asymptotically. In our case, the arithmetic function would be the characteristic function of the squarefull integers, a(n) = 1 if n is squarefull and 0 otherwise.

If [itex]a = f * g[/itex] (Dirichlet convolution), then [tex]\sum_{n ≤ x} a(n) = \sum_{d ≤ x} g(d) F\left(\frac{x}{d}\right)[/tex] where [itex]F(x)[/itex] is the summatory function of [itex]f[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not even sure how to start. I tried expressing [itex]a(n) = 1 * (\mu * a)[/itex] thus using [itex]f = 1[/itex] and [itex]g = \mu * a[/itex]. But I can't find a way to estimate the sum [tex]\sum_{d ≤ x} g(d) \left\lfloor{\frac{x}{d}}\right\rfloor[/tex] Here [itex]\mu[/itex] means the Mobius function.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe it would be a good idea to investigate S(x) for different values of x. You could plot the number of squarefull integers for x up to some cutoff, for example. It couldn't hurt! Maybe it will reveal some pattern that will give you an idea of how to solve the problem.

4. Sep 16, 2015 #3
    So I finally solved the problem, in a totally different (and way simpler) method -_-

I used an earlier result from another problem, saying that squarefull integers can be written uniquely in the form [itex]a^2b^3[/itex].
    So to count the squarefull integers [itex]\leq x[/itex] you can just do [tex]\sum_{a^2b^3 \leq x} 1 = \sum_{b \leq x^{1/3}} \left\lfloor{\frac{\sqrt x}{b^{3/2}}}\right\rfloor[/tex] which eventually simplifies to [tex]\zeta(3/2)\sqrt x + O(x^{1/3})[/tex]

UPDATE:
    Ah, turns out I was wrong... The representation [itex]a^2b^3[/itex] is not unique. For example, [itex]p^8 = (p^4)^2 * 1^3 = p^2 * (p^2)^3[/itex]. I think we need the additional condition that [itex]b[/itex] is squarefree...
    So the sum is actually [tex]\sum_{a^2b^3 \leq x} µ^2(b) = \sum_{b \leq x^{1/3}}µ^2(b) \sum_{a \leq \frac{x^{1/2}}{b^{3/2}}}1 = \sqrt x \sum_{b \leq x^{1/3}}\frac{µ^2(b)}{b^{3/2}} + O(x^{1/3})[/tex]

which still becomes something of the form [itex] C \sqrt x + O(x^{1/3}) [/itex] but [itex] C = \sum_{b = 1}^{\infty} \frac{µ^2(b)}{b^{3/2}}[/itex] which I can't really simplify...

After playing with this expression and using Dirichlet series of [itex]µ(n)[/itex] and [itex](µ^2 * µ)(n)[/itex], I found that [itex]C = \frac{\zeta(3/2)}{\zeta(3)} [/itex].

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted