1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number theory - show divergence of ∑1/p for prime p

1. Jun 13, 2014 #1
    1. show that the sum of. The reciprocals of the primes is divergent. Im reposying this here under homework and deleting the inital improperly placed post

2. Theorem i use but dont prove because its assumed thw student has already lim a^1/n = 1.

The gist of the approach I took is that∑1/p = log(e^∑1/p) = log(∏e^1/p) and logx→ ∞ as x→∞.
    Proof outline: let ∑1/p = s(x). (...SO I can write this easily on tablet) and note that e^s(x) diverges since e^1/p > 1 for any p and the infinite product where every term exceeds 1 is divergent. Then loge^s(x) diverges as logs as x→∞ would. Thus, since log(e^s(x)= s(x), the sum is found to be divergent

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Edit: this is wrong and i finished the proof using very little ofwhati tried here so no need to respond

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not so.
    Any infinite sum of positive terms ∑an could be written as ln(∏ean)

4. Jun 13, 2014 #3
    Indeed. That whopper of an error was pointed out. Can't believe i did that but alas, excitement of an easy solution was blinding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted