Numbers Outside of Address Range (Sign-Magnitude Rep.)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
KongMD
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



+35 + -80 with only 8-bits using sign-magnitude representation

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



Why is this possible? Allowing for one sign bit, the maximum range (in my mind) should be -63 < N < 63. I can see from my notes, however, that the limits of an 8-bit addressing scheme for sign-magnitude representation is -127 < N < 127. How can the left-most bit be both the sign and part of the number?! I'm not asking for anyone to do the problem for me, but I just want to understand why the left-most bit can perform both functions.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. 80 can be represented in 7-bits - I must've had my counting off somewhere. Sorry!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your counting was off. With 7 bits you can represent 0 through 127. With the eighth bit for the sign, you can represent the numbers -128 through 127.