Numerical vs analytical methods

In summary: There are many applications where analytic is the better choice, but there are many applications where numeric is the better choice. It really depends on the situation and the user.
zero_infinity
I just started a numerical analysis class and I'm curious: what are the advantages and disadvantages of the two methods? Do we use numerical methods in situations where getting analytical solutions is possible? If so, why? I just want a better understanding of when each method is used in practice. I also don't know too much physics, so I don't know how often equations come up where no analytical solutions exist.

Technology news on Phys.org
zero_infinity said:
I just started a numerical analysis class and I'm curious: what are the advantages and disadvantages of the two methods? Do we use numerical methods in situations where getting analytical solutions is possible? If so, why? I just want a better understanding of when each method is used in practice. I also don't know too much physics, so I don't know how often equations come up where no analytical solutions exist.

Hey zero_infinity and welcome to the forums.

The main advantage for analytic is that it's exact and gives you more context for what is going on. Having the equation can tell you something than just the output may not tell you.

For numeric the advantage is that you have to use this a lot since most problems don't have known analytic solutions, or that if they are known they are way too complex to deal with.

The numeric representation if its accurate enough tells us the same thing visually as the analytic model and for most purposes, this is what people need to see.

If you want to know where we currently don't have analytic solutions, search google for non-linear differential equations with no analytic solution or just get a book on non-linear partial differential equations.

In practice, it depends on the application. Some applications require really strict error control and this effects what models can be used and what the parameters are. Some are not so strict and just require that the output is good enough and stable.

There are also computational aspects to think about. It's not worth programming a computer to calculate a result that takes a week if you can do it in half a day with results that are still what you need. But sometimes if you can not trade-off accuracy, then you will need to use the best algorithms that do it the quickest even if that means waiting half a week.

These are some issues, but never the less important ones.

1. What is the difference between numerical and analytical methods?

Numerical methods involve solving mathematical problems using numerical computations and algorithms, whereas analytical methods involve solving problems using mathematical formulas and equations.

2. When should I use numerical methods over analytical methods?

Numerical methods are typically used when the problem cannot be solved analytically, or when the analytical solution is too complex to compute. They are also useful for solving problems with multiple variables or for finding approximate solutions.

3. What are the advantages of using numerical methods?

Numerical methods are often more efficient and accurate for solving complex problems compared to analytical methods. They also allow for solving a wide range of problems that cannot be solved analytically.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using numerical methods?

One potential disadvantage of numerical methods is that they require a lot of computational power and can be time-consuming for larger problems. Additionally, they may also introduce some level of error in the solution due to the use of approximations.

5. Can analytical and numerical methods be used together?

Yes, analytical and numerical methods can be used together to solve complex problems. For example, analytical methods can be used to derive an initial solution, which can then be refined using numerical methods for better accuracy.