Nylon fiber guitar string sound

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of an old nylon fiber guitar base string becoming livelier or brighter after being loosened and retightened. The possible explanation is that this process breaks loose accumulated finger crud, allowing the string to vibrate more freely and produce more overtones. There is also speculation about the potential role of polymer crystallization or changes in the string's elasticity.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Why does the sound of an old nylon fiber guitar base string on the guitar become suddenly "livelier", or "brighter", after being loosened and then retightened back to its normal tuning?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hmm ... loosening and re-tightening breaks loose accumulated finger crud so that the string can vibrate more freely, allowing more overtones??

Otherwise, I'm stumped! (I play steel strings, so I have no experience to draw on.)

Can you convince us this effect is not in your head? And by "base", did you mean "bass", as in wound strings? If this happened with the unwound strings it would be even more mysterious ...

I'm not sure about this specific case, but some polymers have a tendency to crystalize somewhat after being stressed. Could it be that the elasticity of the string has changed?

Related to Nylon fiber guitar string sound

1. How does the type of string affect the sound of a nylon fiber guitar?

The type of string used on a nylon fiber guitar greatly affects its sound. Nylon strings have a warm and mellow tone, while other materials like steel produce a brighter and more metallic sound. The thickness and tension of the strings also play a role in the overall sound produced.

2. Can the gauge of the string affect the sound of a nylon fiber guitar?

Yes, the gauge of a nylon string can definitely impact its sound. A thicker string will produce a fuller and warmer tone, while a thinner string will result in a brighter and more delicate sound. It is important to choose the right gauge for your playing style and desired sound.

3. How often should I change my nylon fiber guitar strings?

This depends on how frequently you play and the quality of your strings. On average, it is recommended to change nylon strings every 3-6 months. However, if you notice a decrease in sound quality or visible wear on the strings, it may be time for a change.

4. Can I mix and match different types of strings on my nylon fiber guitar?

It is not recommended to mix and match different types of strings on a nylon fiber guitar. Each type of string is designed to produce a specific sound and using different types may result in an uneven tone and tension on the instrument.

5. Do nylon fiber guitar strings require any special maintenance?

Nylon strings do not require as much maintenance as other types of strings, but it is still important to keep them clean and free of debris. Wiping them down after each use and replacing them when necessary will help maintain their sound and prolong their lifespan.