Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nylon fiber guitar string sound

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Why does the sound of an old nylon fiber guitar base string on the guitar become suddenly "livelier", or "brighter", after being loosened and then retightened back to its normal tuning?
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2008 #2
    hmm .... loosening and re-tightening breaks loose accumulated finger crud so that the string can vibrate more freely, allowing more overtones??

Otherwise, I'm stumped! (I play steel strings, so I have no experience to draw on.)

Can you convince us this effect is not in your head? And by "base", did you mean "bass", as in wound strings? If this happened with the unwound strings it would be even more mysterious ....
  4. Feb 23, 2008 #3

Gold Member

I'm not sure about this specific case, but some polymers have a tendency to crystalize somewhat after being stressed. Could it be that the elasticity of the string has changed?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?