Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obama quits Chicago church after long controversy

1. May 31, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Can I call 'em or what?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080601/ap_on_el_pr/obama

Seriously, the only sensible thing he could do was leave and put as much distance between him and that church as possible.

I guess he must have seen my post and decided to take my advice. :wink:

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2008 #2

Art

Yes just as I predicted he resigned sooner rather than later :tongue2:

4. May 31, 2008 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

i am somewhat sad that he took your cut and run advice, evo. of course he may also have just had enough. what if his barber or bus driver listens to rush limbaugh? does he have to change his routine?

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  5. May 31, 2008 #4

Evo

Did you see the video of Pfleger? I've never seen such venemous hate mongering. It was shocking. Obama had to cut his ties.

If you have not watched the Pfleger video, the entire one, the one I posted was just a small portion, and I think that has been taken down, you need to watch it, but be warned, it's pretty nasty, and Pfleger comes off as a raving psycho.

6. May 31, 2008 #5

russ_watters

That depends - does he look to his barber or bus driver for spiritual/moral guidance?

7. May 31, 2008 #6
    I'm not sure it will make a big difference now. He should have made the decision sooner.

8. Jun 1, 2008 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've only watched one video, and in my opinion, it was a brilliant comedic routine. I don't see why everyone's upset about it - especially Hillary - since it seems to be essentially a spot on depiction.

Can you post the link to the hate-mongering video?

9. Jun 1, 2008 #8
    Does that make Obama an atheist now?

10. Jun 1, 2008 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have been secretly grinning about this idea (not exactly, but close) ever since I read the news about it. Shhhh!

11. Jun 1, 2008 #10

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh, I thought he was a moslem ?

12. Jun 1, 2008 #11
    He's not...

I don't think so but I think he'll be staying away from churches these days -hence taking a passive stance, hoping this would go by...or quite the opposite he might go to another one and announce it - as a way of saying "I'm against these kind of speeches" -

13. Jun 1, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Trinity United Church of Christ is an example of what some call 'charismatic' with respect to the types of sermon issued from the pulpit. It's a different culture than that to which most are apparently accustomed. The idea it seems is to get people fired up. It's not something that would appeal to me.

I do find it unfortunate that Pfleger chose to denigrate Clinton. That was unnecessary, even if some of it had some possible truth to it, i.e. the sense of entitlement. But Pfleger went over the top.

I'm sure Obama will look for a new church, perhaps one in Washington DC. These days, one earns political capital by attending church.

14. Jun 1, 2008 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

He should have quit this church 20 years ago, or rather, not getting involved with it to begin with.

Rather than his insincere denunciations of Mr. Wright, Obama should have come out clean and said the truth, namely that for a number of years, he himself shared the sentiments of Mr. Wright, and HENCE, chose to be a member of that congregation.

Then he could have apologized, in a far more believable way, that he himself was wrong in sharing the reprehensible opinions of Mr. Wright.

15. Jun 1, 2008 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And you know this truth how?

16. Jun 1, 2008 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Mike Huckabee's opinion of the Obama/Wright controversy:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  17. Jun 1, 2008 #16
    'strue.

18. Jun 1, 2008 #17

Evo

Here's a snippet, I'll see if I can find the whole sermon. The part about Clinton was just a tiny piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfWnY5PC0CQ&feature=related

19. Jun 1, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought of you as soon as I heard the news. :approve:

20. Jun 1, 2008 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I honestly don't find anything particularly controversial in what he said there. Retribution, is, after all, still a big piece of modern American jurisprudence (and it's probably only the Anglicans and some small fraction of Lutherans that have any objection to it).

21. Jun 1, 2008 #20

Evo

Screaming to a group of black people that they have been repeatedly raped by American Whites? That's not hate mongering? Of I'm sure that did a lot of good to help smooth over racial tensions. And there were small children listening to him, what are they supposed to think? He's telling the congregation, throughout his sermon that white people are against blacks. Did you see the snippet of him praising Rev Wright, again evil White people are against them.

This is why Obama had to leave, not the parody of Clinton.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?