Object falling with non-constant gravity

In summary, the problem discusses the limitations of the constant acceleration of gravity and proposes a better approximation where gravity decreases linearly with height. The problem also asks for the speed of a dropped object as a function of height and time, assuming it was dropped from rest at a certain height. To solve these, one needs to integrate acceleration in terms of height and time, respectively.
lastoneinspac
The exact problem reads: The acceleration of gravity g is a constant only for a limited
range of height differences. A better approximation, one that
might hold over a larger range of height differences, is that g decreases
linearly with height, g = go - hg', where h is the
height measured from the ground surface and s' is a (small) constant
of the appropriate dimensions. (a) Find the speed of a
dropped object as a function of height assuming it was dropped
starting from rest from a height ho. (b) Find the speed of
a dropped object as a function of time assuming it was dropped
starting from rest from a height ho.

What I've tried to do so far for part a was to integrate acceleration in terms of h. I'm not sure if that is even allowed, but I ended up getting v = g0h - 0.5g'h^2

Then on part b, I more or less got stuck trying to get a formula for h in terms of t, and I'm not quite sure where to start.

I may just be thinking about this incorrectly, so any input on the best method for starting this problem would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
At any instant, acceleration is given as
g = dv/dt= dv/dh*dh/dt = v*dv/dh = go - hg'
Now find the integration to find v in terms of h.
Now g = go - hg' = go + ( ho - 1/2*gt2)g'
Collect the terms containing g and write g = ...
Then write g = dv/dt and find the integration to find v in terms of t.

Last edited:

1. How does gravity affect the speed of an object as it falls?

As an object falls, it experiences a constant acceleration due to gravity. This means that its speed increases by the same amount every second. However, if gravity is not constant, the object's speed will vary at different points during its fall.

2. Can an object fall faster if gravity is not constant?

Yes, depending on the strength and direction of the varying gravity. If gravity is greater in the direction of the fall, the object will accelerate faster and therefore fall faster. On the other hand, if gravity is weaker in the direction of the fall, the object will accelerate slower and fall slower.

3. How does non-constant gravity affect the trajectory of a falling object?

The trajectory of an object falling with non-constant gravity may not follow a straight path like it would with constant gravity. This is because the varying strength and direction of gravity will cause the object to accelerate and change direction as it falls.

4. Is there a formula to calculate the speed of an object falling with non-constant gravity?

Yes, the formula for calculating the speed of an object falling with non-constant gravity is V = V0 + aΔt, where V is the final velocity, V0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and Δt is the time elapsed.

5. How do scientists study the effects of non-constant gravity on falling objects?

Scientists can study the effects of non-constant gravity on falling objects through experiments using different gravitational fields or simulations using mathematical models. They can also observe the motion of objects in environments with varying gravity, such as on different planets or in space.