Object on a string with a string wrapping around

• Thread starter WraithM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a teacher swinging a string with a piece of chalk attached to it around his finger. This situation is often used in classical mechanics exams to assess the understanding of students, as most of them will use the wrong concept of conservation of angular momentum to solve the problem. The correct concept is the law of conservation of energy. The path of the string is called the involute of circle and the angular momentum of the system is conserved. The tension from the post to the puck is perpendicular, not slightly backwards. The speed of the puck remains constant while it spirals inwards or outwards.
WraithM
I saw a teacher today with a piece of chalk tied to the end of a string (for drawing circles and such on a chalk board) swing the string around, and the string wrapped around his finger and the string became shorter until there was no more string left. His finger was pointed parallel to the floor so that the plane that the string spins in is perpendicular to the floor. Is there a name for this sort of thing? Is this used in physics problems or anything like that? I'm just interested in more information about this specific situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Classical mechanics students are sometimes asked questions about this on exams. The idea being that almost all students will use conservation of angular momentum to solve the problem, which is wrong.

So, this allows the Prof. to give the "very smart" students an edge over the students who merely are "ordinary smart".

Last edited:
Count Iblis said:
Classical mechanics students are sometimes asked questions about this on exams. The idea being that almost all students will use conservation of angular momentum to solve the problem, which is wrong.

So, this allows the Prof. to give the "very smart" students an edge over the students who merely are "ordinary smart".

The law of conservation of momentum doesn't work, it is a rotational phenomenon.
Due to gravitational deceleration, for a given radius, after some circulations becomes insufficient to complete the circle, but since the radius goes on decreasing, the reqirement of velocity to complete the circle goes on decreasing as sqrrt of it.
If the mass, velocity, radius initally at a point given the total energy can be calculated.
The total energy remains conserved.

vin300 said:
The law of conservation of momentum doesn't work, it is a rotational phenomenon.
Due to gravitational deceleration, for a given radius, after some circulations becomes insufficient to complete the circle, but since the radius goes on decreasing, the reqirement of velocity to complete the circle goes on decreasing as sqrrt of it.
If the mass, velocity, radius initally at a point given the total energy can be calculated.
The total energy remains conserved.

Could you show me what you mean? (with math. I know calc and a good deal of classical mechanics, so I'll understand.)

WraithM said:
Could you show me what you mean? (with math. I know calc and a good deal of classical mechanics, so I'll understand.)
Let me tell you something, I am sure about everything except the last line.
The object is rotating in a vertical plane.
The minimium velocity at the topmost point to complete the circle is v=sqrrt.(g*r).
Normally, the energy required is exhausted after a few rotations, so it has to be supplied energy continuously.
The radius decreases, the maximum velocity required decreases proportionallyas sqrrrt of redius.
The man does not need to continually supply energy.
The radius, velocity and mass given at a point, you can calculate the total energy as
E=K.E.+P.E.
=1/2 mv^2 +mgx
x is the vertical distance of the point from the bottom of circle drawn with radius at that point.
I think this energy must be conserved throughout the process.

Last edited:
The name of the path is involute of circle. Angular momentum of the system is conserved, but you need to include the angular momentum of whatever the post is attached to, because the string tension results in a torque on the post which transfers the torque to whatever it's attached to (usually the earth).

This was covered in a previous thread:

Comparason of a puck sliding on a frictionless surface attached to string wrapping around a post versus being pulled or released via a hole is covered in post #17:
thread_185178_post_17.htm

link to post with links to animated pictures:
thread_185178_post_21.htm

link to post with the math of involute of circle:
thread_185178_post_32.htm

For the string pulled through hole case, #34 covers this case. The tension versus path while being drawn inwards is slightly forwards and while being released outwards is slightly backwards, so the puck speeds up as it's pulled in and slows down as it's released. Since there's no torque applied to the (assumed frictionless) hole, all of the angular momentum is in the puck (ignoring the string).

The math in post #34 is correct, but the paragraph at the end of post #34 about the involute of circle case (post) is wrong. The tension from the post to the puck is perpendicular to the puck (explained in post #32), not "slightly backwards" as mentioned at the end of post #34. The speed of the puck with string wrapped around a post case remains constant while it's is spiraling inwards or outwards. The angular momentum issue is resolve if you include the angular momentum of whatever the post is attached to as part of the system.

thread_185178_post_34.htm

Last edited:

What is an object on a string with a string wrapping around?

An object on a string with a string wrapping around refers to a simple physics experiment where an object, typically a small weight or ball, is attached to one end of a string and the other end of the string is wrapped around a fixed point. When the object is released, it will spin around the fixed point due to the tension in the string.

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the concept of centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It also helps to visualize and understand the relationship between force, mass, and velocity.

What factors affect the motion of the object on a string?

The motion of the object on a string is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the length of the string, the speed of the object, and the tension in the string. These factors determine the magnitude and direction of the centripetal force acting on the object.

Why does the object continue to move in a circular path?

The object continues to move in a circular path because of the centripetal force, which constantly changes the direction of the object's velocity, keeping it in a circular path. This force is directed towards the center of the circle, perpendicular to the object's velocity.

Is this experiment only applicable to objects on strings?

No, the concept of centripetal force can be observed in various real-life situations, such as the motion of planets around the sun or the rotation of a ball on a string while playing a game of tetherball. The experiment with an object on a string is just a simplified way to demonstrate this concept in a controlled environment.