Object Rolling Down Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of choosing a pivot point when an object is rolling down an inclined plane. It is mentioned that the pivot point can only be the center of mass or the center of rotation, and that while torque equals the rate of change of angular momentum about any point, angular momentum does not generally equal the moment of inertia times angular velocity when considering a general point.
sidvelu
This isn't really a numerical question, just a conceptual questoin. I wanted to know why if you have an object rolling down an inclined plane, you can just choose to put the pivot point anywhere.

This is because I see problems where one thing is solved using F*R=I[tex]\alpha[/tex]

And I also see when the formula is written as mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex] R = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]

I was curious about why we can do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi sidvelu! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and a theta: θ and an omega: ω :wink:)
sidvelu said:
This isn't really a numerical question, just a conceptual questoin. I wanted to know why if you have an object rolling down an inclined plane, you can just choose to put the pivot point anywhere.

not anywhere

you can only use the centre of mass or the centre of rotation

torque = rate of change of angular momentum is true about any point, but angular momentum = moment of inertia times angular velocity (L = Iω) is not generally true

about a general point P, LP = mrc.o.m. x v + Ic.o.m.ω, and that doesn't generally equal IPω :wink:

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat, sloped surface. It is often used to make it easier to move objects from a lower to higher height or vice versa.

2. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the object's speed?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the faster the object will roll down. This is because a steeper angle means the force of gravity acting on the object is greater, resulting in a faster acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of the object and its acceleration down the inclined plane?

The mass of the object does not affect its acceleration down the inclined plane. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force acting on it. In this case, the force is the same (gravity), regardless of the object's mass.

4. How does friction affect the object rolling down an inclined plane?

Friction between the object and the inclined plane will slow down the object's speed. This is because friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, creating a resistive force that decreases the object's acceleration.

5. What factors can affect the distance an object travels down an inclined plane?

The angle of the inclined plane, the mass of the object, and the amount of friction between the object and the inclined plane can all affect the distance the object travels. Other factors such as air resistance and the shape of the object may also play a role.