Object Rolling Down Inclined Plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
sidvelu
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
This isn't really a numerical question, just a conceptual questoin. I wanted to know why if you have an object rolling down an inclined plane, you can just choose to put the pivot point anywhere.

This is because I see problems where one thing is solved using F*R=I[tex]\alpha[/tex]

And I also see when the formula is written as mgsin[tex]\theta[/tex] R = I [tex]\alpha[/tex]

I was curious about why we can do this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi sidvelu! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have an alpha: α and a theta: θ and an omega: ω :wink:)
sidvelu said:
This isn't really a numerical question, just a conceptual questoin. I wanted to know why if you have an object rolling down an inclined plane, you can just choose to put the pivot point anywhere.

not anywhere …

you can only use the centre of mass or the centre of rotation

torque = rate of change of angular momentum is true about any point, but angular momentum = moment of inertia times angular velocity (L = Iω) is not generally true

about a general point P, LP = mrc.o.m. x v + Ic.o.m.ω, and that doesn't generally equal IPω :wink: