Object sliding down a block on a scale

In summary: Yes, I see that now. I noticed that subtracting that force from the total weight yielded the correct answer but the reason behind it never clicked. Thanks a whole lot.
Lord Anoobis

Homework Statement

A 200g hamster sits on an 800 g wedge shaped block which in turn rests on a spring scale. An extra fine lubricating oil is sprayed on the top surface of the block, rendering it entirely frictionless, causing the hamster to slide down. Friction between the block and the scale is large enough that the block does not slip on the scale. What does the scale read as the hamster slides down?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The hamster accelerates down the block with a = gsin##\theta##
The vertical component of this acceleration is:

ay = gsin2##\theta##

So the downward force exerted by the hamster on the block and thus onto the scale is

Fhamster = may

I added this to the weight of the block and ended up with

Reading = Mg + mgsin2##\theta##
Reading = (0.800)(9.8) + (0.200)(9.8)sin240o
Reading = 8.650N

Which is incorrect. I feel that I'm on the right track but I've missed some critical detail. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a special case. Suppose theta is zero. What do you get for the force the hamster exerts on the block?

haruspex said:
Try a special case. Suppose theta is zero. What do you get for the force the hamster exerts on the block?
In that case it would simply be ##mg##

Lord Anoobis said:
In that case it would simply be ##mg##
Yes, of course it should be, but is that what you get from your mg sin2θ formula?

haruspex said:
Yes, of course it should be, but is that what you get from your mg sin2θ formula?
Indeed not. I can see that mgcos2##\theta## is correct. What I don't see is how to arrive at that.

Lord Anoobis said:
Indeed not. I can see that mgcos2##\theta## is correct. What I don't see is how to arrive at that.
Wait.

haruspex said:
The vertical component of the force the hamster exerts on the block is

F = mgcos2##\theta##

Add this to the weight of the block and there we go.

Lord Anoobis said:
The vertical component of the force the hamster exerts on the block is

F = mgcos2##\theta##

Add this to the weight of the block and there we go.
Ok. All good now?

haruspex said:
Ok. All good now?
Almost. I would like to look at this a little closer. My initial approach seemed sensible, and I'm not quite sure why it did not work. Logically, that is.

Lord Anoobis said:
Almost. I would like to look at this a little closer. My initial approach seemed sensible, and I'm not quite sure why it did not work. Logically, that is.
It's because you took the downward acceleration as indicative of the downward force exerted. If you write out the usual ##\Sigma F = ma## equation you'll find you should have negated it.

Likes Lord Anoobis
haruspex said:
It's because you took the downward acceleration as indicative of the downward force exerted. If you write out the usual ##\Sigma F = ma## equation you'll find you should have negated it.
Yes, I see that now. I noticed that subtracting that force from the total weight yielded the correct answer but the reason behind it never clicked. Thanks a whole lot.

1. What is the purpose of studying an object sliding down a block on a scale?

The purpose of studying an object sliding down a block on a scale is to better understand the concept of friction and how it affects the motion of objects. It also allows scientists to gather data and make calculations related to the mass, velocity, and acceleration of the object.

2. How does the weight of the object affect its sliding motion on the scale?

The weight of the object affects its sliding motion on the scale by exerting a downward force due to gravity. This force increases the friction between the object and the surface of the scale, making it more difficult for the object to slide down.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the block and the speed of the object?

The angle of the block and the speed of the object have an inverse relationship. As the angle of the block increases, the speed of the object sliding down the block decreases. This is because a steeper angle increases the force of friction and slows down the object.

4. How does the surface of the block affect the sliding motion of the object?

The surface of the block can affect the sliding motion of the object by changing the amount of friction between the object and the block. A rough surface will create more friction, slowing down the object, while a smooth surface will create less friction, allowing the object to slide faster.

5. What other factors can affect the sliding motion of the object on the scale?

Other factors that can affect the sliding motion of the object on the scale include the mass and shape of the object, the surface of the scale, and any external forces acting on the object, such as air resistance. The force of gravity and the angle of the block can also have a significant impact on the object's motion.