Objective questions regarding projectile motion - 2 dimension .

In summary: I don't understand the second problem seriously...can you please explain? In summary, the first problem asks for the time it takes for a projectile to travel from point A to point B. The answer is dependent on the angle of inclination of the path from A to B. The second problem asks for the trajectory of a projectile when it is projected from point A to point B. The answer is that the trajectory is an ellipse.
sankalpmittal
Objective questions regarding "projectile motion - 2 dimension".

Homework Statement

There are 2 mini problems :

1. If t1 and t2 be the times of flight from A to B and "θ" be the angle of inclination of AB to the horizontal , then t12 + 2t1t2sinθ + t22 is

(A.) independent of θ
(B.) equal to 0
(C.) dependent on θ
(D.) none of the above is correct.

2. If B has horizontal and vertical coordinates x,y referred to A , and the velocity of projection is √(2gh) , and the angle between the two paths at B is a right angle , then B lies on the ellipse ,

(A.) x2+2y2 = 2hy
(B) x2 + y2 = 2hy
(C) 2x2 + 2y2 = 2hy
(D) x2+2y2 = 2hx

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajec...tions_at_the_final_position_of_the_projectile

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Answer seems to be C but its not !

2. I don't understand the question seriously. Langauge seems confusing to me ! :frown:

Please help...
Thanks in advance .. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

sankalpmittal said:

Homework Statement

There are 2 mini problems :

1. If t1 and t2 be the times of flight from A to B and "θ" be the angle of inclination of AB to the horizontal , then t12 + 2t1t2sinθ + t22 is

(A.) independent of θ
(B.) equal to 0
(C.) dependent on θ
(D.) none of the above is correct.

2. If B has horizontal and vertical coordinates x,y referred to A , and the velocity of projection is √(2gh) , and the angle between the two paths at B is a right angle , then B lies on the ellipse ,

(A.) x2+2y2 = 2hy
(B) x2 + y2 = 2hy
(C) 2x2 + 2y2 = 2hy
(D) x2+2y2 = 2hx

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajec...tions_at_the_final_position_of_the_projectile

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Answer seems to be C but its not !

2. I don't understand the question seriously. Langauge seems confusing to me ! :frown:

Please help...
Thanks in advance .. :smile:

I do not understand the first problem at all. What are t1 and t2? Are they times of flight of two projectiles, fired at different angles or different initial speeds or both?

ehild

Deleted.

ehild said:
I do not understand the first problem at all. What are t1 and t2? Are they times of flight of two projectiles, fired at different angles or different initial speeds or both?

ehild

Hey ehild ! Thanks for quick reply. :)

At first I did not understand the problem as language seemed confusing (is). However what the first question says has been illustrated in the below "attatchment :"

Attachments

• Projectile.png
    Projectile.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,146

I still do not understand. The flight time from point A to B is a single time, not two. So again, what are those times? ehild

ehild said:
I still do not understand. The flight time from point A to B is a single time, not two. So again, what are those times?

ehild

Question says that :

Suppose a body is projected along a parabolic path from the point defined by (0,0). Imagine the x-axis as time axis and y-axis as position axis. From that (0,0) point , the body reach the point (t1,A). Obviously to reach (t1,A) , the body takes time t1. Now to reach point (t2,B) from here , the body takes time t2 if the time is defined from (0,0). This means there is a time lag of t2-t1 between points (t1,A) and (t2,B).

Of course , coordinates (t1,A) and (t2,B) lie on a parabola. See the attatchment in above post again.

ehild said:
Yes, it has sense now. I guessed that it was two trajectories involved, but you said something totally different...

The second problem also means that two trajectories both start from the same point A (the origin) and cross each other at point B. The two projectiles were launched at different angles: The angles φ1 and φ2 can be obtained from the coordinates x,y of B with respect to A.
The curves are perpendicular to each other at B: That means the derivatives dy/dx are negative reciprocal to each other.

The equation of the trajectory of a projectile is
y=tan(φ)x-gx2/(2v02cos2(φ)).
You can express cos(φ) with tan(φ) and solve for tan(φ).
The equation of the derivative is dy/dx=tan(φ)-gx/(v02cos2(φ)).
Substitute the angles and then the product of the derivatives has to be -1. From that, you get an equation for x and y, and it is the equation of an ellipse.

But this is a very hard problem. Are you sure that you need to solve such problems?

I try to solve the first equation tomorrow.

ehild

Ok , but really , have I to solve that much !

Hi, sankalpmittal,

You find the formula for the Angle theta required to hit coordinate (x,y) on the Wiki-page the URL you attached to your OP.
Use it for both problems.

Ok , let's do the first problem.

Since range of two projectile is same , then

Angle of first projectile be x , then other will have 90-x.

If we join A and B , we make it a symmetric projectile.

Now how will I proceed ?

Also t1 = 2usinx/g
t2 = 2usin(90-x)/g = 2ucosx/g

Also see the image in the below link :

http://postimage.org/image/ptms5vrwh/

Please give some hints to proceed further. I cannot find any way out.

Last edited by a moderator:

sankalpmittal said:
Ok , but really , have I to solve that much !Ok , let's do the first problem.

Since range of two projectile is same , then

Angle of first projectile be x , then other will have 90-x.

If we join A and B , we make it a symmetric projectile.

Now how will I proceed ?

That projectile is not symmetric. You want to hit a point B (X,Y) from the origin. The question is what has to be the launch angle. There are two angles,Φ1 and Φ2, but Φ1 =90-Φ2 is true only for Y=0.

The angle depends on the position of point B and on the initial speed v.
Wikipedia provides the formula

[tex]\tan(\phi)=\frac{v^2 \pm \sqrt{v^4-g^2 X^2-2v^2 gY}}{gx}[/tex]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile

The time the projectile flies from the origin to B is t=X/(vcos(Φ).
You need to investigate the expression t12+t22+2t1t2sin(θ) where tan(θ)=Y/X.

You will find the formula 1/cos2(Φ )=1+tan2(Φ ) useful for the derivation.

ehild

Last edited:

sankalpmittal said:
Also t1 = 2usinx/g
t2 = 2usin(90-x)/g = 2ucosx/g

Also see the image in the below link :

Please give some hints to proceed further. I cannot find any way out.

Your equations for t are valid if the projectile final height and initial height are the same. It is not the case in this problem.

ehild

I show the solution steps a bit further:
The problem: you want to hit a point B(X,Y) from point A(0,0) with initial speed v. It is possible with two launch angles, Φ1 and Φ2, the times of flight are t1 and t2 respectively.

Problem 1) says that the line (A,B) encloses the angle θ with the horizontal (x axis), that is, Y/X=tan(θ). Find if the expression

[itex]E=t_1^2+t_2^2+2t_1 t_2\sin(\theta)[/itex]

depends on θ.

Problem 2) says that the initial speed is v=√(2gh), and the trajectories cross each other at 90° angle at B. Show that B is on an ellipse and find out which it is from the given ones.

If a projectile is aimed to hit a point (X,Y) the tangent of the possible launch angles are

[itex]\tan(\phi)=\frac{v^2 \pm \sqrt{v^4-g^2 X^2-2v^2 gY}}{gx}[/itex]

With the notation [itex]C=v^4-g^2 X^2-2v^2 gY[/itex],
the tangent of the angles are
[tex]\tan(\phi_1)=\frac{v^2 + \sqrt{C}}{gx}[/tex]
and
[tex]\tan(\phi_2)=\frac{v^2 - \sqrt{C}}{gx}[/tex]

The time of flight from A to B is is
[tex]t=\frac{X}{v \cos(\phi)}[/tex].
With that, the expression E is
[tex]E=t_1^2+t_2^2+2t_1 t_2\sin(\theta)=\frac{X^2}{v^2 \cos^2(\phi_1)}+\frac{X^2}{v^2 \cos^2(\phi_2)}+2\frac{X}{v \cos(\phi_1)}\frac{X}{v \cos(\phi_2)}\sin(\theta)[/tex]

Using the relation
[tex]\frac{1}{cos^2(\phi)}=1+\tan^2(\phi)[/tex]

[tex]E=\frac{X^2}{v^2}\left(1+\tan^2(\phi_1)+1+\tan^2 ( \phi_2)+2\sin(\theta) \sqrt{\left(1+\tan^2(\phi_1)\right) \left(1+\tan^2(\phi_2)\right)} \right) [/tex]
Plug in the expressions for tan(Φ1) and tan(Φ2), expand and simplify.

In problem 2), start with the equation of the trajectory:
[tex]Y=\tan(\phi) X-\frac{gX^2}{2 v^2 \cos^2(\phi)}[/tex].
the tangent of the trajectory is :
[tex]Y'=\tan(\phi) -\frac{gX}{v^2 \cos^2(\phi)}[/tex].
If the two trajectories are perpendicular at B, the product of their tangents is -1.

[tex]\left( \tan(\phi_1) -\frac{gX}{v^2 \cos^2(\phi_1)} \right) \left ( \tan(\phi_2) -\frac{gX}{v^2 \cos^2(\phi_2)} \right) =-1[/tex].

Substitute 1+tan2(Φ) for 1/cos2(Φ), and also the expressions for tan(Φ1) and tan(Φ2), expand and simplify.

ehild

ehild said:
I show the solution steps a bit further:
The problem: you want to hit a point B(X,Y) from point A(0,0) with initial speed v. It is possible with two launch angles, Φ1 and Φ2, the times of flight are t1 and t2 respectively.

Problem 1) says that the line (A,B) encloses the angle θ with the horizontal (x axis), that is, Y/X=tan(θ). Find if the expression

[itex]E=t_1^2+t_2^2+2t_1 t_2\sin(\theta)[/itex]

depends on θ.

Problem 2) says that the initial speed is v=√(2gh), and the trajectories cross each other at 90° angle at B. Show that B is on an ellipse and find out which it is from the given ones.

If a projectile is aimed to hit a point (X,Y) the tangent of the possible launch angles are

[itex]\tan(\phi)=\frac{v^2 \pm \sqrt{v^4-g^2 X^2-2v^2 gY}}{gx}[/itex]

With the notation [itex]C=v^4-g^2 X^2-2v^2 gY[/itex],
the tangent of the angles are
[tex]\tan(\phi_1)=\frac{v^2 + \sqrt{C}}{gx}[/tex]
and
[tex]\tan(\phi_2)=\frac{v^2 - \sqrt{C}}{gx}[/tex]

The time of flight from A to B is is
[tex]t=\frac{X}{v \cos(\phi)}[/tex].
With that, the expression E is
[tex]E=t_1^2+t_2^2+2t_1 t_2\sin(\theta)=\frac{X^2}{v^2 \cos^2(\phi_1)}+\frac{X^2}{v^2 \cos^2(\phi_2)}+2\frac{X}{v \cos(\phi_1)}\frac{X}{v \cos(\phi_2)}\sin(\theta)[/tex]

Using the relation
[tex]\frac{1}{cos^2(\phi)}=1+\tan^2(\phi)[/tex]

[tex]E=\frac{X^2}{v^2}\left(1+\tan^2(\phi_1)+1+\tan^2 ( \phi_2)+2\sin(\theta) \sqrt{\left(1+\tan^2(\phi_1)\right) \left(1+\tan^2(\phi_2)\right)} \right) [/tex]
Plug in the expressions for tan(Φ1) and tan(Φ2), expand and simplify.

But sinθ still remains. Answer says that this expression t_1^2+t_2^2+2t_1 t_2\sin(\theta) does not depend on θ.

What I want to say is this :
In the below image , one can easily see that this projectile is not symmetric. But arbitrarily assigning line AB as x-axis , one can convert it into a symmetric projectile.

In problem 2), start with the equation of the trajectory:
[tex]Y=\tan(\phi) X-\frac{gX^2}{2 v^2 \cos^2(\phi)}[/tex].
the tangent of the trajectory is :
[tex]Y'=\tan(\phi) -\frac{gX}{v^2 \cos^2(\phi)}[/tex].
If the two trajectories are perpendicular at B, the product of their tangents is -1.

[tex]\left( \tan(\phi_1) -\frac{gX}{v^2 \cos^2(\phi_1)} \right) \left ( \tan(\phi_2) -\frac{gX}{v^2 \cos^2(\phi_2)} \right) =-1[/tex].

Substitute 1+tan2(Φ) for 1/cos2(Φ), and also the expressions for tan(Φ1) and tan(Φ2), expand and simplify.

ehild

Thanks ! I'll at once do it !
:smile:

sankalpmittal said:
But sinθ still remains. Answer says that this expression t_1^2+t_2^2+2t_1 t_2\sin(\theta) does not depend on θ.
Both t1 and t2 contain theta, and sin theta cancels with them. Try.
sankalpmittal said:
What I want to say is this :
In the below image , one can easily see that this projectile is not symmetric. But arbitrarily assigning line AB as x-axis , one can convert it into a symmetric projectile.

If you change the direction of gravity, too, perpendicular to AB. Have you got such a great power? :rofl:

ehild

Needs to be deleted. Unintentional double posting.

Last edited:

ehild said:
Both t1 and t2 contain theta, and sin theta cancels with them. Try.

If you change the direction of gravity, too, perpendicular to AB. Have you got such a great power? :rofl:

ehild

Ah !

I-got-an-idea----idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000274-facebook.gif

So resolving g as gcosθ perpendicular to AB and gsinθ (no use till now) , I get ,

t1 = 2usin(β-θ)/gcos(θ)
t2 = 2usin(90-(β-θ))/gcos(θ)
= 2ucos(β-θ)/gcos(θ)

If I resolved components of g perpendicular to AB and made this projectile symmetric and range of two projectiles are same , the two angles will be complementary.

So I got two equations for t1 and t2. Now I tried evaluating
E=t12+t22+2t1t2sin(θ) from here but θ still remained. :frown:

Am I going correct. You say to plug tan values in terms of x , y and all ? Theta is not canceling up.

Problem 2 is over. No need to worry about it now. :smile:

sankalpmittal said:
So resolving g as gcosθ perpendicular to AB and gsinθ (no use till now) , I get ,

t1 = 2usin(β-θ)/gcos(θ)
t2 = 2usin(90-(β-θ))/gcos(θ)
= 2ucos(β-θ)/gcos(θ)

If I resolved components of g perpendicular to AB and made this projectile symmetric and range of two projectiles are same , the two angles will be complementary.

There are two angles to reach a point (x,y) from the origin, but the angles are complementary only when the initial and final heights are the same.
In that case, the projectile flies upward for time vsin(β)/g, and back for the same time. So the time of flight is t=2vsin(β)/g.
The projectile moves with constant velocity vx=vcos(β) in the horizontal direction, so x=vcos(β)2vsin(β)/g=v2/g sin(2β). If you know that the range of the projectile must be x, the launch angle is obtained from the equation sin(2β)=gx/v2. There are two solutions for 2β: 2β1=arcsin(gx/v2) and 2β2=pi-arcsin(gx/v2). That means β2=pi/2-β1.

If the final height is not the same as the initial height, the time of flight is not 2vsinβ/g, so the above argument can not be applied, the angles are not complimentary. This does not change if you choose a different system of coordinates.

In your system of coordinates g has both y and x components. The projectile accelerates in the x direction so x≠vcos(β-θ)2vsin(β-θ)/(gcosθ). The angles are not complimentary.

Imagine θ=80°. Then you need to launch both projectiles at a greater angle but still less than 90°. So both launch angles are less than 10°. Their sum can not be 90°.

ehild

Attachments

• twoprojectiles.JPG
    twoprojectiles.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 395

ehild said:
There are two angles to reach a point (x,y) from the origin, but the angles are complementary only when the initial and final heights are the same.
In that case, the projectile flies upward for time vsin(β)/g, and back for the same time. So the time of flight is t=2vsin(β)/g.
The projectile moves with constant velocity vx=vcos(β) in the horizontal direction, so x=vcos(β)2vsin(β)/g=v2/g sin(2β). If you know that the range of the projectile must be x, the launch angle is obtained from the equation sin(2β)=gx/v2. There are two solutions for 2β: 2β1=arcsin(gx/v2) and 2β2=pi-arcsin(gx/v2). That means β2=pi/2-β1.

If the final height is not the same as the initial height, the time of flight is not 2vsinβ/g, so the above argument can not be applied, the angles are not complimentary. This does not change if you choose a different system of coordinates.

In your system of coordinates g has both y and x components. The projectile accelerates in the x direction so x≠vcos(β-θ)2vsin(β-θ)/(gcosθ). The angles are not complimentary.

Imagine θ=80°. Then you need to launch both projectiles at a greater angle but still less than 90°. So both launch angles are less than 10°. Their sum can not be 90°.

ehild

Ok , I agree. But I can also use the equation of range of projectile on an inclined plane. R = u2sin2(β-θ)/gcosθ - gt12/2
And t1 = 2usin(β-θ)/gcos(θ)

Like that , I can also express the range in terms of t2.

Which method will be easy ?

sankalpmittal said:
Ok , I agree. But I can also use the equation of range of projectile on an inclined plane. R = u2sin2(β-θ)/gcosθ - gt12/2
And t1 = 2usin(β-θ)/gcos(θ)

Like that , I can also express the range in terms of t2.

Which method will be easy ?

Neither one, I guess. I solved the problem with my method, if you do not like it try to solve the other way.

ehild

ehild said:
Neither one, I guess. I solved the problem with my method, if you do not like it try to solve the other way.

ehild

E = [X/cos(θ+z)]2 + [X/cos(θ+y)]2 + 2X2sinθ/cos(θ+z)cos(θ+y)

On solving , I get :

E = (X2/(cos2θcos2z + sin2θsin2z - 2cosθcoszsinθsinz)) + (X2/(cos2θcos2y + sin2θsin2y - 2cosθcosysinθsiny)) + 2X2sinθ/(cos2θcoszcosy - sinθcosθcoszcosy - sinθsinzcosθcosy + sin2θ sinzsiny)

Am I going correct ?

I do not know what you are doing. What are y and z?

ehild

ehild said:
I do not know what you are doing. What are y and z?

ehild

One projectile makes angle yo with line AB. So it makes angle (θ + y) with x axis.
Other projectile makes angle zo with line AB. So it makes angle (θ + z ) with x axis.

Note : Line AB itself makes angle θ (in degrees) with x axis.

Do you know y and z?

I do not think expanding the expression of E had any sense. Introducing the angles with respect to AB does not make the solution easier.

You know the two angles with respect to the horizontal in terms of (X,Y), coordinates of the point to be hit by the projectile. Y=Xtan(θ). If v is the initial speed,

[tex]\tan(\phi_1)=\frac{v^2 +\sqrt{v^4-g^2 X^2-2v^2 gY}}{gX}[/tex][tex]\tan(\phi_2)=\frac{v^2 -\sqrt{v^4-g^2 X^2-2v^2 gY}}{gX}[/tex]

The times of flight are

[tex]t_1=\frac{X}{v\cos(\phi_1)}[/tex]
and
[tex]t_2=\frac{X}{v\cos(\phi_2)}[/tex].

Proceed.

ehild

Last edited:

ehild said:
Do you know y and z?

I do not think expanding the expression of E had any sense. Introducing the angles with respect to AB does not make the solution easier.

You know the two angles with respect to the horizontal in terms of (X,Y), coordinates of the point to be hit by the projectile. Y=Xtan(θ). If v is the initial speed,

[tex]\tan(\phi_1)=\frac{v^2 +\sqrt{v^4-g^2 X^2-2v^2 gY}}{gX}[/tex][tex]\tan(\phi_2)=\frac{v^2 -\sqrt{v^4-g^2 X^2-2v^2 gY}}{gX}[/tex]

The times of flight are

[tex]t_1=\frac{X}{v\cos(\phi_1)}[/tex]
and
[tex]t_2=\frac{X}{v\cos(\phi_2)}[/tex].

Proceed.

ehild

Ok , so on expanding and simplifying this expression ,

E = (X2)(2g2X2 + 2v4 + 2C)/(v2)(g2X2) + 2sinθ √(((Z+2v2√C)/g2X2))(Z-2v2√C)/(g2X2))

where ,

Z = g2x2 + v4 + C
C = v4−g2X2−2v2gY

Don't know how to latex ! :(

Check your parentheses.

So you need to expand the terms X2/(v2cos2φ). Using that cos2φ=1/(1+tan2φ,

[tex]\frac{x^2}{v^2\cos^2(\phi)}=\frac{x^2}{v^2} \left(1+\tan^2(\phi)\right)[/tex]

Substituting the expression
[tex]\tan(\phi)=\frac{v^2\pm C}{gX}[/tex]
You get
[tex]1+\tan^2(\phi)=\frac{v^4\pm 2 v^2C+(v^4-g^2X^2-2v^2gY)+g^2X^2}{g^2X^2}=\frac{2v^4\pm 2 v^2C-2v^2gY}{g^2X^2}[/tex]

Now substitute
[tex]1+\tan^2(\phi_1)=\frac{2v^2(v^2+ C-gY)}{g^2X^2}[/tex]
for t12and
[tex]1+\tan^2(\phi_2)=\frac{2v^2(v^2- C-gY)}{g^2X^2}[/tex]
for t22
into the expression for E.

ehild

Ah so ,

t12 = 2(v2+C-gY)/g2

t22 = 2(v2-C-gY)/g2
2t1t2sinθ = 4sinθ√(v4 + g2Y2 + 2v2gY - C2)/g2

So Expression E =

[2(v2+C-gY) + 2(v2-C-gY) + 4sinθ√(v4 + g2Y2 + 2v2gY - C2)]/g2

Ok , so how to prove this expression really is independent of θ ?

You see that +C cancels with -C in the first part. As for the expression under the square root, substitute C2 = v4−g2X2−2v2gY and simplify.

ehild

ehild said:
You see that +C cancels with -C in the first part. As for the expression under the square root, substitute C2 = v4−g2X2−2v2gY and simplify.

ehild

Allrighty. :smile:

So simplifying E = [2(v2+C-gY) + 2(v2-C-gY) + 4sinθ√(v4 + g2Y2 + 2v2gY - C2)]/g2 further , I get ,

E =[4v2 - 4 gY + 4sinθ√(g2Y2 + g2X2 + 4v2gY)]/g2

tanθ = Y/X

So , expression E reduces to ,

E =[4v2 - 4 gXtanθ + 4sinθ√(g2X2tan2θ + g2X2 + 4v2gXtanθ)]/g2

Which again is simplified to ,

E =[4v2 - 4 gXtanθ + 4sinθ√(g2X2sec2θ + 4v2gXtanθ)]/g2

Shall I continue ahead ? Please tell if I'm on correct path. Thanks.

sankalpmittal said:
Ah so ,

t12 = 2(v2+C-gY)/g2

t22 = 2(v2-C-gY)/g2
2t1t2sinθ = 4sinθ√(v4 + g2Y2 + 2v2gY - C2)/g2

There is a sign error (shown in red).
[tex]2 t_1 t_2 \sin(\theta)=\frac {4 \sin(\theta)}{g^2}\sqrt{(v^2-gY+C)(v^2-gY-C)}=\frac {4 \sin(\theta)}{g^2}\sqrt{(v^4-2gYv^2+g^2Y^2-C^2)}[/tex]

ehild said:
There is a sign error (shown in red).
[tex]2 t_1 t_2 \sin(\theta)=\frac {4 \sin(\theta)}{g^2}\sqrt{(v^2-gY+C)(v^2-gY-C)}=\frac {4 \sin(\theta)}{g^2}\sqrt{(v^4-2gYv^2+g^2Y^2-C^2)}[/tex]

Ah ! Well spotted !

So , all I've got to do is to simplify the expression E = [2(v2+C-gY) + 2(v2-C-gY) + 4sinθ√(v4 + g2Y2 - 2v2gY - C2)]/g2

Thus I reduce this expression by putting C2 = v4−g2X2−2v2gY to

E =[4v2 - 4 gY + 4sinθ√(g2Y2 + g2X2 )]/g2

Again substituting Y/X for tanθ , expression E reduces to ,

[4v2 - 4 gXtanθ + 4sinθ√(g2X2tan2θ + g2X2 )]/g2

Which again is reduced to ,

[4v2 - 4 gXtanθ + 4sinθ. gXsecθ]/g2

Which is simplified again to ,

[4v2 - 4 gXtanθ + 4gXtanθ]/g2

And lastly we get ,

4v2/g2 which is of course independent of θ !

Thanks ehild ! :smile: Thanks for efforts !

(I'll post some problems of friction soon !)

1. What is projectile motion in 2 dimensions?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air in two dimensions under the influence of gravity. This means that the object is moving horizontally and vertically at the same time.

2. What is the difference between projectile motion in 2 dimensions and in 3 dimensions?

In 2 dimensions, the object is only moving horizontally and vertically, while in 3 dimensions, the object can also move in the third dimension, such as in a parabolic arc. This is because in 2 dimensions, we only consider the effects of gravity in the x and y directions, while in 3 dimensions, we also consider the z direction.

3. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile in 2 dimensions?

The initial velocity of a projectile in 2 dimensions can be calculated using the following formula:
V0x = V0cosθ
V0y = V0sinθ
Where V0x and V0y are the initial velocities in the x and y directions, V0 is the initial velocity magnitude, and θ is the angle of launch.

4. What is the maximum height of a projectile in 2 dimensions?

The maximum height of a projectile in 2 dimensions occurs at the peak of its trajectory, where the vertical velocity is equal to zero. This height can be calculated using the formula:
h = (Vy²)/(2g)
Where h is the maximum height, Vy is the vertical velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

5. How do you determine the range of a projectile in 2 dimensions?

The range of a projectile in 2 dimensions is the horizontal distance traveled by the object before it hits the ground. It can be calculated using the formula:
R = (V0²sin2θ)/g
Where R is the range, V0 is the initial velocity magnitude, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).