1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oblique incidence for Electromagnetic Waves

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    I'm a bit confused, when drawing the diagram for oblique incidence, how do I choose which way to draw the electric field? For example, I know the direction of the wave is in the plane of incidence and the wave vectors are simply arrows in the direction of the wave that I draw - and that the E field is polarised parallel to the plane, but that gives two directions for which I can choose E - how do I know which one? Does it just not make a difference when all is worked out in the end?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

clem

Science Advisor

Since E oscillates, you can choose either direction for the incident E arrow in your diagram, but you have to be consistent.

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    Thank you clem, however just looking at Griffiths book he has chosen two of the E fields to point to the right of the k vector and one to the left, that's not consistent?

5. Nov 24, 2009 #4

clem

Science Advisor

I meant consistent with that you put the B vector as kXE. If the algebra gives you a negative E, that just means it points opposite to your assumed direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook