Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Oblique Shock Angle Calculation

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    I'm trying to write a MATLAB .m-file that will calculate the lift and drag on a supersonic airfoil using only the angle of attack, mach number, and geometry of the airfoil. I'm getting stuck on the oblique shock angle calculation because I cannot find an equation that is solved for the shock angle (beta). Does anyone know what equation I can use for this? Other than that, I think I'm all set. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2
  4. Apr 16, 2010 #3
    I have that equation, but I just found out I don't have the symbolic math toolbox for MATLAB and that's why I couldn't solve the equation for beta. I used Maple to solve for beta and got a ridiculously long result.

5. Apr 16, 2010 #4
    The equation in my book is ridiculously long. They actually split it into 3 equations.

6. Nov 3, 2010 #5
    man u need to make an iteration using matlab i did it before and this is a code for it

Attached Files:

7. Nov 3, 2010 #6

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or just use the freaking fsolve or solve commands to do it numerically, since I assume that is what you are supposed to do anyway.

8. Nov 9, 2010 #7

Symbolic Math Toolbox! That is really something i desire very much i wonder why they did not put the inverse laplace transform capability on MATLAB.....

9. Nov 10, 2010 #8
    Use maple its just great

10. Nov 10, 2010 #9

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maple is craptastic. Mathematica is a nicer package IMO.

11. Dec 18, 2011 #10
    i need this your program.can you help me? if it possible for you plz send that to me.thanks
    mhd.hadipour@yahoo.com

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook