Observables and Commutation (newbie questions?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of state vectors in quantum mechanics, which can be represented as complex vectors in Hilbert space. These state vectors contain all the information about a system, and observable quantities can be obtained by performing operators on them. However, certain observables, such as momentum and spin, are incompatible and cannot be simultaneously diagonalized with the same similarity transform. This leads to the generalized Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The symbol with an equals sign and a dot on top has different definitions, but in this context, it likely means that the equation is true in a specific coordinate system. The conversation also touches on the concept of normalization in wave functions, which ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in a given space is
Ben Niehoff said:
I was hoping maybe you would interpret those formulas, maybe with words like "timelike", "spacelike", or "lightlike". It helps to step back from the math and think about what you're doing.

I may be nitpicking, but as given, the problem is unitless, so I don't see how it has any intrinsic reference to time or space.

But if by "interpret" you mean I can modify the question so the numbers actually refer to physical measurements of time and space, I would suggest the following possible interpretation.

[tex]X = \begin{pmatrix} c \Delta t+\Delta z & \Delta x+i \Delta y \\ \Delta x - i \Delta y & c \Delta t -\Delta z \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Then if my clumsy calculations are right, a positive determinant would be timelike, a negative determinant would be spacelike, and a zero determinant would be lightlike.

A further note: Does this math work out in some way to "pick out" one dimension ; the z-dimension in particular? I'm wondering whether some yet more careful interpretation of the math (i.e. definition of variables) might yield some expression of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fredrik said:
You're on the right track. The set of complex self-adjoint (=hermitian) 2×2 matrices is a 4-dimensional vector space over ℝ, so it's isomorphic to the vector space ℝ4. ℝ4 is of course also the underlying set of Minkowski spacetime, so any map that takes complex self-adjoint 2×2 matrices to complex self-adjoint 2×2 matrices can be used to define a map from ℝ4 into ℝ4. The maps of the form
$$X\mapsto AXA^\dagger$$ where A is a complex 2×2 matrix with determinant 1 (i.e. A is a member of SL(2,ℂ)) are especially interesting, because they are linear and preserve determinants, i.e. ##\det(AXA^\dagger)=\det X##. This means that they correspond to Lorentz transformations. Note that if you replace A by -A, you get the same map. So there are two members of SL(2,ℂ) for each Lorentz transformation.

This relationship between the Lorentz group SO(3,1) and SL(2,ℂ) is the main part of the reason why SL(2,ℂ) is used instead of SO(3,1) in relativistic QM.

I'm curious about your statement that each Lorentz Transformation corresponds to two members of SL(2,C). So, are you saying that taking any matrix A in SL(2,C), and Hermitian X, composed of (cΔt, Δx, Δy, Δt) then ##AXA^\dagger## will yield X' composed of (cΔt', Δx', Δy', Δt'); i.e. a Lorentz transformed version of the original four-vector?

If you had started with complex traceless self-adjoint 2×2 matrices, you could have made essentially the same argument with ℝ3 and SU(2) instead of ℝ4 and SL(2,ℂ).

And that, I'll have to look at later.

JDoolin said:
I'm curious about your statement that each Lorentz Transformation corresponds to two members of SL(2,C). So, are you saying that taking any matrix A in SL(2,C), and Hermitian X, composed of (cΔt, Δx, Δy, Δt) then ##AXA^\dagger## will yield X' composed of (cΔt', Δx', Δy', Δt'); i.e. a Lorentz transformed version of the original four-vector?
Yes, it's a linear transformation from ℝ4 to ℝ4 that preserves the Minkowski "norm" (which as you know by now isn't really a norm). Such a transformation is called a Lorentz transformation.