Observed speed of pitch different than catcher's view?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of velocity and frames of reference in relation to a moving walkway and a ball being thrown. The idea of velocity addition and how it applies to different frames of reference is also mentioned.
myPhys
I was reading Walter Isaacson's biography of Einstein recently, and I thought of moving walkways in airports.

Let's say we have a pitcher and a catcher on the moving walkway 80 feet apart, and the pitcher throws the ball to the catcher, and the time that it takes to travel from the pitcher to the catcher is noted. Then, we should have the average speed for the throw or pitch.

It seems to me that a stationary observer that is at a point, such that, the observer is across the hallway from the pitcher, and the observer, pitcher and catcher form a right triangle, will observe that the ball travels more than 80 feet. If the catcher then tells the observer how long the pitch took, then the observer will calculate a faster average speed.

So, I am wondering (1) if my logic is correct, and (2) is this what is said to be a difference due to different frames of reference? Thank you for your help. Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
myPhys said:
So, I am wondering (1) if my logic is correct, and (2) is this what is said to be a difference due to different frames of reference? Thank you for your help. Joe

Yes, the velocity of the ball to an external observer is the velocity of the ball within the system plus the velocity of the system. This is velocity addition in classical physics.

Another example is two people sitting in a moving car where one hands an object to the other. In their reference frame the object is hardly moving, but to an external observer, the object is moving at the speed of the car.

Likes myPhys

1. Why does the observed speed of a pitch sometimes differ from the catcher's view?

There are a few factors that can contribute to a difference in the observed speed of a pitch compared to the catcher's view. One possible reason is that the speed of the pitch can be affected by the direction and force of the wind, which may not be the same for both the pitcher and the catcher. Additionally, the angle at which the pitch is thrown can also affect the observed speed. Lastly, the perception of speed can also be influenced by the reaction time of the catcher and the position of their eyes relative to the pitch.

2. How does the type of pitch affect the observed speed?

The type of pitch being thrown can have a significant impact on the observed speed. Different pitches, such as a fastball or a curveball, have different trajectories and speeds, which can affect the perception of speed from both the pitcher and the catcher's perspectives. Additionally, the spin of the pitch can also affect the observed speed.

3. Can the equipment used by the pitcher and catcher impact the observed speed?

Yes, the equipment used by the pitcher and catcher can play a role in the observed speed of a pitch. For example, the type and condition of the baseball, as well as the type and fit of the catcher's glove, can affect the speed at which the pitch is perceived. Additionally, the use of certain training aids or technology, such as radar guns or specialized gloves, can also impact the observed speed.

4. How does the distance between the pitcher and catcher affect the observed speed?

The distance between the pitcher and catcher can have a significant impact on the observed speed of a pitch. The farther the pitcher is from the catcher, the longer the distance the pitch has to travel, which can impact the perceived speed. Additionally, the angle at which the ball is caught by the catcher can also affect the perceived speed.

5. Are there any other factors that can contribute to a difference in the observed speed of a pitch?

Yes, there are other potential factors that can impact the observed speed of a pitch. These can include the physical abilities and techniques of the pitcher and catcher, the lighting and visibility of the playing field, and even psychological factors such as the level of focus and attention of the players. Additionally, the pitch may be affected by any obstacles or distractions in the environment, such as other players or equipment on the field.