1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oddly Formatted Second Order ODE

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    u'' + w20*u = cos(wt)

w refers to omega.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure where to begin on this. For starters, it's a multiple choice problem, and all the answers are given in terms of y, so I'm not sure if u is supposed to replace y' or something.

Second of all, even if I start solving it, trying to use r2 + 1*w20 = 0, and then getting that r = w0, where do I go from there? I have a general solution of y = c1ew0t + c2e-w0t

So then I say that the particular solution has to have the form A*cos(wt) + B*sin(wt), and the second derivative is -A*cos(wt) - B*sin(wt)

So then A*cos(wt) - B*sin(wt) + w02*A*cos(wt) + B*sin(wt) = cos(wt)

So then A*cos(wt) + w02*A*cos(wt) = 1*cos(wt)

So then that gets me that A + w02*A = 1, and A = 1/(w02)

The sine terms cancel (and there's no sine in the solution anyway)

So then I have y = c1ew0t + c2e-w0t + (cos(wt))/(w02).

The closest choice I see is c1*cos(w0t) + c2*sin(w0t) + (cos(wt))/w02, and that choice is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##r=\omega_0## isn't a solution. Plugging it into the characteristic equation would give you ##2\omega_0^2 = 0##, which isn't true in general.

You didn't differentiate correctly, you dropped a sign, and you made an algebra errors distributing ##\omega_0^2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted