1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average of a sinusodial Function

1. Sep 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the average of a sinusoidal function over 1.5 cycles

2880*sin(wt - 30 degrees)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright so

1/( (3*pi)/2 - 0) * integral[0, (3*pi)/2] 2880*sin(wt - 30 degrees) dt
    I shift it over to the origin because it shouldn't effect the average no matter the phase?
    (5760/(3pi)) * integral[0, (3*pi)/2] 2880*sin(wt) dt
    - (5760/(3pi))*cos(t)|[0, (3*pi)/2]
    - (5760/(3pi))*(0-1)
    1920/pi

Does this look ok?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That doesn't sound right to me. 1.5 cycles means 1 cycle which averages to zero, but then the other 1/2 cycle can be either positive or negative, which give very different averages.

Are you sure you are writing out the whole problem? Is a t=0 start specified?

4. Sep 14, 2015 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Quote: Does this look ok?

Even if it was OK you can't say it looks OK . I recently found it is not all that hard to use Tex for integrals and is only way for them to look presentable.

But are you sure one and a half cycles is 3π/2 ?

I don't think your answer should have π in the answer, I mean does sin(π) or sin or cos of any easy fraction of π have it?

Optionally simplify by the thought that
    one and a half is, er,
    One... :oldwink:
    and a half.

I don't think it's right that the thing is not changed by phase though it was tempting to think so. Because some of a half-cycle is positive and some negative, and as you change phase some of the positive is becoming negative with no compensation.

I suggest you draw yourself a picture of this sine and its limits and you will see this.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  5. Sep 14, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Questions:
    (1) Why do you choose an upper limit of 3*pi/2? What happened to w?
    (2) Are you really sure that you can shift the origin? Certainly, for a whole number of cycles you could do it, but have you actually proven that you can do it for a fractional number of cycles?

Anyway, my answer does not agree with yours.

Finally: never mix up units the way you are doing; either use degrees all the way, or radians throughout--with the latter strongly preferred, as it makes integration and differentiation easier. So, re-write 30 degrees in terms of radians.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted