Average of a sinusodial Function

In summary, the two students attempted to solve a homework problem involving the average of a sinusoidal function, but their solutions differed. One student shifted the origin to avoid effects from phase changes, but their solution was not accepted. The other student solved the problem without the shift and their solution was accepted.
YoshiMoshi

Homework Statement

Find the average of a sinusoidal function over 1.5 cycles

2880*sin(wt - 30 degrees)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so

1/( (3*pi)/2 - 0) * integral[0, (3*pi)/2] 2880*sin(wt - 30 degrees) dt
I shift it over to the origin because it shouldn't effect the average no matter the phase?
(5760/(3pi)) * integral[0, (3*pi)/2] 2880*sin(wt) dt
- (5760/(3pi))*cos(t)|[0, (3*pi)/2]
- (5760/(3pi))*(0-1)
1920/pi

Does this look ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
YoshiMoshi said:
I shift it over to the origin because it shouldn't effect the average no matter the phase?

That doesn't sound right to me. 1.5 cycles means 1 cycle which averages to zero, but then the other 1/2 cycle can be either positive or negative, which give very different averages.

Are you sure you are writing out the whole problem? Is a t=0 start specified?

Quote: Does this look ok?

Even if it was OK you can't say it looks OK . I recently found it is not all that hard to use Tex for integrals and is only way for them to look presentable.

But are you sure one and a half cycles is 3π/2 ?

I don't think your answer should have π in the answer, I mean does sin(π) or sin or cos of any easy fraction of π have it?

Optionally simplify by the thought that
one and a half is, er,
One... :oldwink:
and a half.

I don't think it's right that the thing is not changed by phase though it was tempting to think so. Because some of a half-cycle is positive and some negative, and as you change phase some of the positive is becoming negative with no compensation.

I suggest you draw yourself a picture of this sine and its limits and you will see this.

Last edited:
YoshiMoshi said:

Homework Statement

Find the average of a sinusoidal function over 1.5 cycles

2880*sin(wt - 30 degrees)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright so

1/( (3*pi)/2 - 0) * integral[0, (3*pi)/2] 2880*sin(wt - 30 degrees) dt
(5760/(3pi)) * integral[0, (3*pi)/2] 2880*sin(wt) dt
- (5760/(3pi))*cos(t)|[0, (3*pi)/2]
- (5760/(3pi))*(0-1)
1920/pi

Does this look ok?

Questions:
(1) Why do you choose an upper limit of 3*pi/2? What happened to w?
(2) Are you really sure that you can shift the origin? Certainly, for a whole number of cycles you could do it, but have you actually proven that you can do it for a fractional number of cycles?

Anyway, my answer does not agree with yours.

Finally: never mix up units the way you are doing; either use degrees all the way, or radians throughout--with the latter strongly preferred, as it makes integration and differentiation easier. So, re-write 30 degrees in terms of radians.

Related to Average of a sinusodial Function

1. What is a sinusoidal function?

A sinusoidal function is a mathematical function that describes a periodic oscillation. It can take the form of a sine or cosine wave and is commonly used to model various natural phenomena such as sound waves, light waves, and electrical currents.

2. How do you find the average of a sinusoidal function?

The average of a sinusoidal function is also known as its mean value. To find it, we need to integrate the function over one period and then divide by the length of the period. This can be expressed as:
Average = (1/period) * ∫(function) dx, where dx represents the length of the period.

3. Can the average of a sinusoidal function be negative?

Yes, the average of a sinusoidal function can be negative. This happens when the function has both positive and negative values over one period, resulting in a net average of zero. For example, a sine wave with a period of 2π has an average of zero since it has equal positive and negative values over one period.

4. How does the amplitude affect the average of a sinusoidal function?

The amplitude of a sinusoidal function does not affect its average. This is because the average is calculated by integrating the function, which is independent of the amplitude. However, the amplitude does affect the maximum and minimum values of the function and the distance between them.

5. Can the average of a sinusoidal function change over time?

No, the average of a sinusoidal function remains constant over time. This is because the average is calculated by taking into account the entire period of the function, not just a specific point in time. However, the function itself may change over time, resulting in different average values for different periods.