ODE - indeterminate coefficients

In summary, the person is looking for a particular solution to a polynomial equation involving quasipolynom and is having trouble understanding how to find the solution.
twoflower
Hi all,

I can't figure out where I've doing mistake in this quite simple problem:

[tex]
y''' - y = x^3 - 1
[/tex]

FSS = [itex][e^{x}, e^{-\frac{1}{2}x} \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x\right), e^{-\frac{1}{2}x} \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x\right)][/itex]

Then, because on the right side there is quasipolynom, I can solve it using the method of indeterminate coefficients.

So I look for solution of form

[tex]
y(x) = a\sin (0x) + b\cos (0x) = b
[/tex]

[tex]
y' = b'
[/tex]

My condition will be

[tex]
b' = 0
[/tex]

So

[tex]
y'' = y''' = 0
[/tex]

And I get

[tex]
y''' - y = -b = x^3 - 1
[/tex]

[tex]
b = 1 - x^3
[/tex]

Anyway, this is not correct...can you see where am I doing the mistake?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The RHS is a polynomial of degree 3 so you're looking for a (particular) solution of the form [itex]y = ax^3+bx^2+cx+d[/itex]. Now also find y''' and plug it into your DE, work it out and group in powers of x to identify the coefficients which will allow you to determine a,b,c,d.

TD said:
The RHS is a polynomial of degree 3 so you're looking for a (particular) solution of the form [itex]y = ax^3+bx^2+cx+d[/itex]. Now also find y''' and plug it into your DE, work it out and group in powers of x to identify the coefficients which will allow you to determine a,b,c,d.
Thank you! I will try that. Anyway, can you see some flaw in my approach? I think it's maybe more general but should work..what do you think?

Well it's not very clear to me why you would propose a lineair combination of sin and cos as a particular solution if your non-homogenous part is a polynomial. Since you take the angles 0, you end up with just a constant b but that will never be able to form the third power you have at your RHS, which is why your general solution should be of the form of a 3rd degree polynomial.

TD said:
Well it's not very clear to me why you would propose a lineair combination of sin and cos as a particular solution if your non-homogenous part is a polynomial. Since you take the angles 0, you end up with just a constant b but that will never be able to form the third power you have at your RHS, which is why your general solution should be of the form of a 3rd degree polynomial.

Well, in school, we had been told this:

If the right side is so called quasipolynom, ie. function of form

[tex]
f(x) = e^{\alpha x}( P_1(x) \cos (\beta x) + P_2(x) \sin (\beta x))\mbox{ , }P_1\mbox{, }P_2\mbox{ polynoms}
[/tex]

Then the solution of similar form exists:

[tex]
y(x) = x^{m}e^{\alpha x} (Q_1(x)\sin(\beta x) + Q_2(x)\cos (\beta x))
[/tex]

where [itex]m[/itex] is multiplicity of root [itex]\alpha + \beta i[/itex] of polynom [itex]P(\lambda)[/itex] ([itex]m = 0[/itex] if [itex]m[/itex] isn't a root)

[itex]Q_1[/itex] and [itex]Q_2[/itex] are polynoms of degree [itex]\leq \max(\mbox{deg}(P_1), \mbox{deg}(P_2))[/itex]

I thought that expressing [itex]y[/itex] as [itex]y = b[/itex] would be ok because b can represent polynom of the desired degree. But it seems that the [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] in the way I use them should be really only coefficients..

Oh I see, well if "b" represents a polynomial of the proper degree (here 3), then it's ok but that wasn't clear from your notation. It seemed to me that b was an unknown, just a coefficient. I think it would be better to write the complete polynomial, since as you saw: you treated b as a constant and not as a polynomial.

As far as I've been taught, the suggested polynomial Q should be of the same degree as P (which seems more logical to me actually...) not 'less or equal'.

TD said:
Oh I see, well if "b" represents a polynomial of the proper degree (here 3), then it's ok but that wasn't clear from your notation. It seemed to me that b was an unknown, just a coefficient. I think it would be better to write the complete polynomial, since as you saw: you treated b as a constant and not as a polynomial.

Great, I see it now, I really treat [itex]b[/itex] as if it were a constant, that's the point.

TD said:
As far as I've been taught, the suggested polynomial Q should be of the same degree as P (which seems more logical to me actually...) not 'less or equal'.

Well, maybe it means that [itex]\mbox{deg}(Q_1) = \mbox{deg}(P_1)[/itex] and [itex]\mbox{deg}(Q_2) = \mbox{deg}(P_2)[/itex], that's covered by what I wrote - if you understand it in a way that "for both [itex]P_1[/itex] and [itex]P_2[/itex] holds true that their degree is less or equal to [itex]\mbox{max(deg(}P_1\mbox{), deg(}P_2\mbox{))}[/itex]"

Yes that's possible. Bottom line really is: you need to suggest a polynomial of at least the same (but exactly the same is sufficient) degree for a particular solution.

Did you manage to finish this DE?

1. What is the method of indeterminate coefficients used for?

The method of indeterminate coefficients is used for solving ordinary differential equations (ODEs) with constant coefficients. It is a technique that allows us to find a particular solution to an ODE without having to solve the entire equation.

2. How does the method of indeterminate coefficients work?

The method of indeterminate coefficients works by assuming the particular solution to an ODE has the same form as the non-homogeneous term in the equation. This assumption allows us to find the coefficients of the particular solution by equating it to the non-homogeneous term and solving for the coefficients.

3. When can the method of indeterminate coefficients be used?

The method of indeterminate coefficients can be used when the ODE has constant coefficients and a non-homogeneous term that is a polynomial, exponential, or trigonometric function. It cannot be used for non-constant coefficients or non-polynomial/non-exponential/non-trigonometric functions.

4. What is the difference between the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of indeterminate coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a specific case of the method of indeterminate coefficients, where the non-homogeneous term in the ODE is a polynomial. The method of undetermined coefficients only works for polynomials of degree n, while the method of indeterminate coefficients can be used for polynomials, exponentials, and trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any limitations to the method of indeterminate coefficients?

Yes, the method of indeterminate coefficients cannot be used for ODEs with non-constant coefficients or non-polynomial/non-exponential/non-trigonometric functions. Additionally, if the non-homogeneous term in the ODE is not in the same form as the particular solution, this method will not work. In this case, other techniques such as variation of parameters or the Laplace transform must be used.