1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE - indeterminate coefficients

1. Jan 7, 2006 #1
    Hi all,

I can't figure out where I've doing mistake in this quite simple problem:

[tex]
    y''' - y = x^3 - 1
    [/tex]

FSS = [itex][e^{x}, e^{-\frac{1}{2}x} \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x\right), e^{-\frac{1}{2}x} \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x\right)][/itex]

Then, because on the right side there is quasipolynom, I can solve it using the method of indeterminate coefficients.

So I look for solution of form

[tex]
    y(x) = a\sin (0x) + b\cos (0x) = b
    [/tex]

[tex]
    y' = b'
    [/tex]

My condition will be

[tex]
    b' = 0
    [/tex]

So

[tex]
    y'' = y''' = 0
    [/tex]

And I get

[tex]
    y''' - y = -b = x^3 - 1
    [/tex]

[tex]
    b = 1 - x^3
    [/tex]

Anyway, this is not correct...can you see where am I doing the mistake?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2006 #2

TD

Homework Helper

The RHS is a polynomial of degree 3 so you're looking for a (particular) solution of the form [itex]y = ax^3+bx^2+cx+d[/itex]. Now also find y''' and plug it into your DE, work it out and group in powers of x to identify the coefficients which will allow you to determine a,b,c,d.

4. Jan 7, 2006 #3
    Thank you! I will try that. Anyway, can you see some flaw in my approach? I think it's maybe more general but should work..what do you think?

5. Jan 7, 2006 #4

TD

Homework Helper

Well it's not very clear to me why you would propose a lineair combination of sin and cos as a particular solution if your non-homogenous part is a polynomial. Since you take the angles 0, you end up with just a constant b but that will never be able to form the third power you have at your RHS, which is why your general solution should be of the form of a 3rd degree polynomial.

6. Jan 7, 2006 #5
    Well, in school, we had been told this:

If the right side is so called quasipolynom, ie. function of form

[tex]
    f(x) = e^{\alpha x}( P_1(x) \cos (\beta x) + P_2(x) \sin (\beta x))\mbox{ , }P_1\mbox{, }P_2\mbox{ polynoms}
    [/tex]

Then the solution of similar form exists:

[tex]
    y(x) = x^{m}e^{\alpha x} (Q_1(x)\sin(\beta x) + Q_2(x)\cos (\beta x))
    [/tex]

where [itex]m[/itex] is multiplicity of root [itex]\alpha + \beta i[/itex] of polynom [itex]P(\lambda)[/itex] ([itex]m = 0[/itex] if [itex]m[/itex] isn't a root)

[itex]Q_1[/itex] and [itex]Q_2[/itex] are polynoms of degree [itex]\leq \max(\mbox{deg}(P_1), \mbox{deg}(P_2))[/itex]

I thought that expressing [itex]y[/itex] as [itex]y = b[/itex] would be ok because b can represent polynom of the desired degree. But it seems that the [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] in the way I use them should be really only coefficients..

7. Jan 7, 2006 #6

TD

Homework Helper

Oh I see, well if "b" represents a polynomial of the proper degree (here 3), then it's ok but that wasn't clear from your notation. It seemed to me that b was an unknown, just a coefficient. I think it would be better to write the complete polynomial, since as you saw: you treated b as a constant and not as a polynomial.

As far as I've been taught, the suggested polynomial Q should be of the same degree as P (which seems more logical to me actually...) not 'less or equal'.

8. Jan 7, 2006 #7
    Great, I see it now, I really treat [itex]b[/itex] as if it were a constant, that's the point.

Well, maybe it means that [itex]\mbox{deg}(Q_1) = \mbox{deg}(P_1)[/itex] and [itex]\mbox{deg}(Q_2) = \mbox{deg}(P_2)[/itex], that's covered by what I wrote - if you understand it in a way that "for both [itex]P_1[/itex] and [itex]P_2[/itex] holds true that their degree is less or equal to [itex]\mbox{max(deg(}P_1\mbox{), deg(}P_2\mbox{))}[/itex]"

9. Jan 7, 2006 #8

TD

Homework Helper

Yes that's possible. Bottom line really is: you need to suggest a polynomial of at least the same (but exactly the same is sufficient) degree for a particular solution.

Did you manage to finish this DE?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?