1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ODE Integrating factors found by inspection

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm reading a chapter out of Elem. DE 6th Edition by Rainville and Bedient (Ch 4 pg 61) titled integrating factors found by inspection. To explain it, the authors start with an equation, which is grouped to become:

[itex]y dx + x dy + x^3y^2 dy = 0[/itex]

which then becomes:

[itex]\frac{d(xy)}{(xy)^3} + \frac{dy}{y} = 0[/itex]

I am unsure of how they get from there to the next step which is this....

[itex]-\frac{1}{2x^2y^2} + ln|y| = -ln|c|[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Trying to figure out the intermediate steps I start by doing this...

[itex]\frac{d(xy)}{x^3y^2} = - \frac{dy}{y}[/itex]

And then I'm guessing they integrate both sides. However, if that's the case, what would I be integrating the left side with respect to? I expected the equation to become this...

[itex]\frac{1}{x^2y^2} + ln|y| = c[/itex]

Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it doesn't. There is either a typo in the text or in your post. If your original equation was$$
    y dx + x dy + x^3y^2 dy = 0$$ and you divided by ##x^3y^3## it would become$$
    \frac {d(xy)}{(xy)^3} + \frac {dy}{y}=0$$which gives your desired answer.

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3
    The typo was in my post. I corrected it. Sorry about that. With that now corrected, I'm still not sure how they get from the one step to the next.

5. Jul 20, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is of the form ##\frac {du}{u^3} = u^{-3}du## which integrates to ##\frac{u^{-2}}{-2}##. And calling the constant of integration ##-\ln c## instead of ##c## is just a convenience. They can both be anything.

6. Jul 20, 2012 #5
    ok, and in this case u = xy. I was thinking that they had to be dealt with separately, but now I see it.

Thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook