ODE Problem with boundary conditions

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation with given boundary conditions. The solution is obtained by assuming a negative value for the parameter λ and solving the characteristic equation. The solution is then substituted into the given integral equation to find the constant c1, resulting in two possible solutions for y(t). The person asking for help is unsure if their solution is correct.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

Solve:

y'' - λy = 0

where y(0)=y(1)=0, y=y(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi everyone,

This is part of a PDE question, I just need to solve this particular ODE. I know how to do it in the case for y'' + λy = 0, where you get the solution:

λ = (nπ)^2,
y = C.sin(nπt), C a constant

However, I don't know how to go about doing it for this case, other than getting the trivial zero solution of course. Am I correct in thinking I should rewrite it as:

y'' + (-λ)y = 0

and then solve as for the positive case?

I would be really grateful if you could please tell me if this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
In other words, you are assuming [itex]\lambdas< 0[/itex], right? Okay, how about setting [itex]\lambda= -\alpha^2[/itex] where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is any non-zero real number?

What is the characteristic equation for [itex]y''+ \alpha^2y= 0[/itex]. What characteristic roots do you get and what is the general solution?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! So then I would have:

Assume λ<0

Let λ = -a^2, for some real, non-zero number a

Then

y'' + (a^2)y = 0

y(t) = c1.sin(at) + c2.cos(at)

y(0)=0, therefore c2 = 0

y(1)=0, therefore c1 = 0 (trivial solution)

or sin(a) = 0

a = n∏

so then λ = -(n∏)^2

So then y(t) = c1.sin(n∏t)

---
Then one of the conditions I was given in the question was that

∫(y^2)dt = 2, with limits of integration 0 to 1

Integrating this out:

(c1)^2.∫[sin(n∏t)]^2.dt =2

so then (1/2)(c1)^2.∫(1-cos(n∏t))dt =2

which gives us:

(c1)^2 = 4

c1 = ±2

So then y(t) = c1.sin(n∏t), c1=±2

---
I don't like that I've ended up with two possible values for c1, but this solution makes sense to me. Please could you tell me if I am correct?

What is an ODE problem with boundary conditions?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) problem with boundary conditions is a mathematical problem that involves finding a function that satisfies both an ODE and a set of conditions at specific boundary points. The ODE describes the rate of change of a function, while the boundary conditions specify the values of the function at the boundaries of the domain.

Why are boundary conditions important in ODE problems?

Boundary conditions are important because they help determine the specific solution to an ODE problem. Without them, there could be an infinite number of solutions that satisfy the ODE, making it impossible to find a unique solution.

What types of boundary conditions are commonly used in ODE problems?

The most commonly used types of boundary conditions in ODE problems are Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin boundary conditions. Dirichlet conditions specify the value of the function at a specific boundary point, Neumann conditions specify the derivative of the function at a boundary point, and Robin conditions are a combination of Dirichlet and Neumann conditions.

How are ODE problems with boundary conditions solved?

ODE problems with boundary conditions are typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods. These methods approximate the solution by dividing the domain into smaller subdomains and using iterative calculations to find a numerical solution that satisfies both the ODE and boundary conditions.

What are some real-world applications of ODE problems with boundary conditions?

ODE problems with boundary conditions have many real-world applications, including modeling heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and population growth. They are also used in engineering, physics, and economics to understand and predict the behavior of various systems and processes.