Partial Differential Equation: a question about boundary conditions

In summary, in order to find the solution φ(x,y) for the linear first-order PDE, a suitable boundary condition must be chosen. In this case, the boundary condition was set as φ(2y,-y)=3y^2, and the resulting solution is φ(x,y)=x^2-y^2. It is important for the boundary condition to meet all the characteristic curves only once, which is the case for the given boundary condition on a straight line that intersects each part of each characteristic exactly once. The characteristic curves are hyperbolae with asymptotes x+y=0 and x-y=0, and the solution φ(x,y) can be expressed as F(t)=2t, which is parallel to the x
Terrycho
Homework Statement
Consider the following linear first-order PDE
Relevant Equations
Partial Differential Equations
Consider the following linear first-order PDE,

1569643281163.png

Find the solution φ(x,y) by choosing a suitable boundary condition for the case f(x,y)=y and g(x,y)=x.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The equation above is the PDE I have to solve and I denoted the following result by solving it.

φ(x,y)=F(t)=F(1/2 x^2 - 1/2 y^2)

So, I set the boundary condition as φ(2y, -y)=3y^2 and denoted the following result.

φ(x,y)=x^2 - y^2.

Here is my question. While I was solving the equation, I got F(t)=2t, where t=(3y^2)/2, but how do I know if this F(t) meets all the characteristic curves? Here, the characteristic curves are determined by t= x^2/2 - y^2/2 for each constant t.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you have a particular physical situation that you want to describe ”suitable” could be any boundary condition that is compatible with the differential equation.

Orodruin said:
Unless you have a particular physical situation that you want to describe ”suitable” could be any boundary condition that is compatible with the differential equation.
what I heard was the boundary conditions should meet all the characteristic curves only once. Is this one wrong?

Terrycho said:
what I heard was the boundary conditions should meet all the characteristic curves only once.
This is correct. This specifies a single value for each characteristic curve and the rest of the values on the curves are then given by a first order ODE with that single boundary condition.

Terrycho said:
Is this one wrong?
You tell me, does the curve on which you specified the values meet each characteristic once?

Orodruin said:
This is correct. This specifies a single value for each characteristic curve and the rest of the values on the curves are then given by a first-order ODE with that single boundary condition.You tell me, does the curve on which you specified the values meet each characteristic once?
I mean, this is another question of mine too. φ(x,y)=F(t)=F(x^2/2 - y^2/2 ), this is the general solution of the partial differential equation irrespective of the choice of the function F. Then, I set the boundary condition as φ(2y,-y)=3y^2. While doing this, I got F(t)=2t, where t=(3y^2)/2, but how do I know if this F(t) meets all the characteristic curves? Here, the characteristic curves are determined by t= x^2/2 - y^2/2 for each constant t.

Last edited:
The characteristic curves are hyperbolae with asymptotes [itex]x + y = 0[/itex] and [itex]x - y = 0[/itex]. For each [itex]t \neq 0[/itex] the corresponding hyperbola consists of two disjoint continuous curves.

If you specify a boundery condition on a straight line which is not one of the asymptotes, that line will intersect each part of each characteristic exactly once, as you may verify by solving [itex]ax + by = c[/itex] and [itex]x^2 - y^2 = 2t[/itex] simultaneously.

pasmith said:
The characteristic curves are hyperbolae with asymptotes [itex]x + y = 0[/itex] and [itex]x - y = 0[/itex]. For each [itex]t \neq 0[/itex] the corresponding hyperbola consists of two disjoint continuous curves.

If you specify a boundery condition on a straight line which is not one of the asymptotes, that line will intersect each part of each characteristic exactly once, as you may verify by solving [itex]ax + by = c[/itex] and [itex]x^2 - y^2 = 2t[/itex] simultaneously.
So with that boundary condition I specified, F(t)=2t meets all the characteristic curves, which are the hyperbole, right?

Then how do you express F(t)=2t? Is it like y=2t, which is parallel to x-axis for each constant t?

1. What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that contains partial derivatives of a multivariable function. It is used to model various physical phenomena, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

2. What is the difference between a partial differential equation and an ordinary differential equation?

A partial differential equation involves partial derivatives, which means that the equation is defined in multiple dimensions. An ordinary differential equation, on the other hand, only contains ordinary derivatives with respect to one independent variable.

3. What are boundary conditions in a partial differential equation?

Boundary conditions are additional constraints that are applied to a partial differential equation to determine a unique solution. They specify the behavior of the solution at the boundaries of the domain, such as the values or derivatives of the solution at these points.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the solution of a partial differential equation?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the behavior of the solution of a partial differential equation. They help to determine a unique solution and can also affect the stability and accuracy of the solution.

5. What are the types of boundary conditions in a partial differential equation?

There are several types of boundary conditions that can be applied to a partial differential equation, including Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin boundary conditions. Dirichlet boundary conditions specify the value of the solution at the boundary, while Neumann boundary conditions specify the derivative of the solution at the boundary. Robin boundary conditions are a combination of both Dirichlet and Neumann conditions.