ODE Solution (Integrating Factor method)

• Thread starter Angry Citizen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method Ode
In summary: Thanks for catching that!In summary, the student attempted to solve a differential equation but made a mistake. They needed to use the standard method of finding the homogeneous solution and a particular solution. The mistake was in the integration by parts, where they needed to use -integral(v*du).
Angry Citizen

Homework Statement

[tex]y^{'}+3y=t+e^{-2t}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex](μy)'=μy'+yμ'[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the integrating factor: [tex]\frac{dμ}{dt}=3μ[/tex] which becomes [tex]μ=e^{3t}[/tex]

I multiplied through by [tex]e^{3t}[/tex], yielding [tex]y'e^{3t}+3e^{3t}y=te^{3t}+e^{t}[/tex]

I combined the LHS into [tex](ye^{3t})'[/tex], then integrated both sides. The LHS became [tex]ye^{3t}[/tex] and the RHS required integration by parts, with [tex]u=t[/tex] [tex]du=1[/tex] [tex]dv=e^{3t}[/tex] [tex]v=\frac{e^{3t}}{3}[/tex]

The part requiring integration by parts wound up as: [tex]\frac{te^{3t}}{3}+\frac{e^{3t}}{9}[/tex]

The entire RHS becomes: [tex]\frac{te^{3t}}{3}+\frac{e^{3t}}{9}+e^{t}+c[/tex]

The equation is now: [tex]ye^{3t}=\frac{te^{3t}}{3}+\frac{e^{3t}}{9}+e^{t}+c[/tex]

Dividing through by [tex]e^{3t}[/tex] SHOULD yield [tex]y=\frac{t}{3}+\frac{1}{9}+e^{-2t}+ce^{-3t}[/tex]

However, the solution's manual doesn't have the [tex]e^{-2t}[/tex] term, and I'm afraid I may have made a mistake. Can anyone help? This is my first differential equation, and I'm determined to get it right :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Angry Citizen! :wink:

Must be a misprint … your e-2t is definitely correct. :smile:

(But your 1/9 isn't. :redface:)

However, an integrating factor is not the way we'd normally do this, it's quicker easier and safer to use the standard method of finding the homgeneous solution and a particular solution. :wink:

But your 1/9 isn't.

That's interesting. The manual has that one. Could you tell me what's wrong with it? Should it not be there at all? Did I mess up the integration by parts, perhaps?

However, an integrating factor is not the way we'd normally do this, it's quicker easier and safer to use the standard method of finding the homgeneous solution and a particular solution.

Hmm. Well, like I said, this is my very first differential equation :) I started at chapter 2 of the Boyce-Diprima book, and am working my way through it sequentially. First section was integrating factors, so my repertoire of solution-finding is limited :)

hi Angry Citizen! :smile:
Angry Citizen said:
That's interesting. The manual has that one. Could you tell me what's wrong with it? Should it not be there at all? Did I mess up the integration by parts, perhaps?

What's wrong is that it doesn't work

(t/3 + 1/9)' + 3(t/3 + 1/9) = 1/3 + t + 1/3 ≠ t :wink:
Hmm. Well, like I said, this is my very first differential equation :) I started at chapter 2 of the Boyce-Diprima book, and am working my way through it sequentially. First section was integrating factors, so my repertoire of solution-finding is limited :)

Fair enough! :biggrin:

I did my solution via the homgeneous + particular solution as well, so I'm not sure where your mistake is, but I got a -1/9 in my solution.

EDIT: Also, your mistake is in the integration by parts, the result you need is -integral(v*du), you have integral(v*du). So you should get t/3*exp(3t)-1/9*exp(3t).

Last edited:
Also, your mistake is in the integration by parts, the result you need is -integral(v*du), you have integral(v*du). So you should get t/3*exp(3t)-1/9*exp(3t).

Aha! Well, I guess I need to bone up on my integration techniques. I was thinking it was uv+int(vdu). Bloody sign changes!

1. What is the Integrating Factor method used for in solving ODEs?

The Integrating Factor method is used to solve first-order ordinary differential equations (ODEs) that are not in the form of a separable equation. It involves multiplying both sides of the equation by a specific function, known as the integrating factor, to make the equation easier to solve.

2. How do you determine the integrating factor for a given ODE?

The integrating factor for a given ODE can be determined by finding the coefficient of the highest-order derivative term and taking the exponential of its integral. For example, if the ODE is in the form of dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x), then the integrating factor is e∫P(x)dx.

3. Can the Integrating Factor method be used for higher-order ODEs?

No, the Integrating Factor method is only applicable for first-order ODEs. For higher-order ODEs, other methods such as variation of parameters or undetermined coefficients must be used.

4. What are the advantages of using the Integrating Factor method over other methods for solving ODEs?

The Integrating Factor method is particularly useful for solving ODEs that are not in the form of a separable equation. It also allows for a more systematic approach to solving ODEs compared to other methods such as substitution or inspection.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Integrating Factor method?

One limitation of the Integrating Factor method is that it can only be used for first-order ODEs. Additionally, it may not always be possible to find an exact solution using this method, as it depends on the form of the ODE and the ability to find the integrating factor.