ODEs- How to annihilate ln(x) ?

• Thread starter Roni1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Odes
In summary, the conversation discusses the method of annihilators for solving a constant coefficient differential equation and its application to an Euler equation. The method involves transforming the equation into a constant coefficient DE through a change of variables and then using the method of annihilators to solve it. The conversation also mentions the importance of checking if a finite amount of derivatives are a linear combination in this method.
Roni1985

Homework Statement

I need to annihilate ln(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my try was saying that this is a eular equation with
r1=r2=0
c1=0 and c2=1
so the annihilator should be D^2
but I don't think it works.

Any other suggestions ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about [itex](D+xD^2)[/itex]?

gabbagabbahey said:
How about [itex](D+xD^2)[/itex]?

Yep, it works :\
thanks.
But, how did you get it ?

Roni.

I got it by inspection, but if you are looking for a general method, I would say begin by finding [itex]Dy(x)[/itex] and [itex]D^2y(x)[/itex] and seeing if they are proportional to each other.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think you can claim that this is a valid annhilator, since it involves [itex]x[/itex] and is not just a polynomial (with constant coefficients) in [itex]D[/itex]

gabbagabbahey said:
I got it by inspection, but if you are looking for a general method, I would say begin by finding [itex]Dy(x)[/itex] and [itex]D^2y(x)[/itex] and seeing if they are proportional to each other.

I see...
thanks very much for the help...

gabbagabbahey said:
Would it be accurate to say that we check if a finite amount of derivatives are a linear combination?

The method of annihilators is a method for solving constant coefficient DE's. An Euler DE is not that type, but it can be transformed into a constant coefficient DE by a change of variables. Then you can use the method of annihilators on the transformed equation and transform the answer back to solve your original Euler DE. The change of variables you need is t = ln(x). Using a dot for differentiation with respect to t you get, using t = ln(x):

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{dt}{dx} = \dot y\frac 1 x[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}= -\frac 1 {x^2}\dot y + \frac 1 x \frac{d\dot y}{dt}\frac{dt}{dx}
=-\frac 1 {x^2}\dot y+\frac 1{x^2}\ddot y[/tex]

When you substitute these into the left side of your Euler equation you will be left with a constant coefficient equation for y as a function of t. You will need to substitute x = et in the right side too. Solve that by annihilators and substitute t = ln(x) to get your final answer.

Last edited:

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. How do you solve an ODE?

There are various methods for solving ODEs, including analytical methods such as separation of variables and numerical methods such as Euler's method. The specific method used depends on the type of ODE and the initial conditions given.

3. What does it mean to "annihilate" ln(x) in an ODE?

"Annihilating" ln(x) means finding a solution to the ODE that eliminates the presence of ln(x). This is typically done by applying a specific technique or transformation to the ODE.

4. Why is it important to solve ODEs in scientific research?

ODEs are commonly used to model real-world phenomena, making them crucial in scientific research. By solving ODEs, scientists can gain a better understanding of the behavior of these systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

5. What are some applications of ODEs in science?

ODEs have a wide range of applications in science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are used to model systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and circuit dynamics.