Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Off the wall soleniod architecture question

1. Aug 17, 2007 #1
    As I understand it: In a regular cylindercal soleniod the winding starts at one point(top) and winds down to the other side(bottom) of a cylindercal core. Once the wind reaches the bottom, the wire returns back to the top and so forth, untill the desired winding is achieved, lets say 10 layers. The electron path would then follow the archtecture of the wire moving very quickly(short of the speed of light) up and then down the cylinder in a consistant clock-wise direction.

The above description involves only one wire. The change in architechture in my proposed design would only allow electron flow in one direction, from the top to the bottom. The question I have is, Will this change make a markable difference in the strength of the soleniods' magnetic flux field?

I propose to start the first wind at the top near the core of the cylinder, as in the design of a conventonal cylindercal soleniod but terminate the wire when it reaches the bottom, repeat this process so that I end up with 10 seprate layers. I undestand that each wire will need to have a return path in order to facilatate electron flow. So, each individual wire will be soldered to a common buss that runs in the interior or exterior length of the soleniod.

This setup would be very simple/cheep to put together but in my local, availability is nill. I quite literally can't even purchase one spool of any wire, ever since radio shack closed there door.

Thanks

If any part of my description isn't clear, i"m sorry to say but, my camera is broken. If the proposed description has some potential I will do my best to borrow a digi cam and post it in a hand drawing.

Thanks again

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You will get the same number of amp turns, so the field will be the same. BTW, the electrons in a DC current actually flow quite slowly, not near the speed of light. AC signals propagate at a large fraction of c (depending on the medium they are travelling in, but even there, the electrons are basically staying in one place on the wire and just moving back and forth a tiny bit with the AC current flow. You can calculate how slowly electrons move by remembering the equation for current in terms of the flow of charges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_current

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?