Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Official global warming PF Earth forum poll!

1. I am a "global warmer" who sides with AGW

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. I am a "global warmer" who sides with non-anthropogenic global warming

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I am skeptical of AGW

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. I am skeptical of a global warming occurring right now

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. There is controversy concerning global warming

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  6. There is little or no controversy concerning global warming

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. Information regarding the subject is often incorrectly regarded as fact in the media

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  8. Information regarding the subject is usually correctly regarded as fact in the media

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Actions must be taken to fight the menace, whether anthropogenic or natural

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  10. We should not take action, either because actions are futile, or there is nothing to fight.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sep 8, 2006 #1

Mk

Ok guys, this is the poll. Is there only a very small minority of educated people that are AGW skeptics? Global warming skeptics? I think most of us here are aquainted with the subject's aire de academia, but, please vote only if you know more than what was served to you on a silver platter, i.e. the mass media (magazines, editorials, blogs, newspapers, television news, internet news, radio, gossip and rumors, etc..)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You omitted "insufficient data to say anything."

4. Sep 8, 2006 #3

Mk

I only get 10 options, I can't fit everything it. That is under skeptical, no?

5. Sep 9, 2006 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Conditionally --- I know the quantity and quality of the data --- I can state minimum quantity and quality necessary for constructing hypotheses about climate --- I can compare the minimum quality and quality to that extant --- (no skepticism so far) --- do I have doubts about the qualifications and motives of the people constructing the "Rube Goldberg" cause and effect mechanisms? To some extent. Can I accept n-fold "if" statements as "science?" No --- science proceeds through tests of a single "if" at a time.

Fair 'nuff?

6. Sep 9, 2006 #5
    That is like:

If I'm driving too fast and
    If the brakes are worn down a bit and
    if there is a sharp turn ahead and
    if there is a abyss next to the road and
    if the guard rail is too weak then
    I'm in big trouble
    endif
    endif
    endif
    endif
    endif

7. Sep 10, 2006 #6
    There is a real problem with the temperature data. Averaging the high and low numbers in an irregularly distributed series of numbers does not produce a mathematically reliable result. The high or low number on a specific day may represent the temperature for a few minutes or for a few hours.

If average temperatures are going to be used the readings must be taken at specific intervals during each day.

8. Sep 10, 2006 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

check

check

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?