1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oh wow, a math question came up at work! Finite series

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Being professionals now we've all forgotten our math skills and I'm trying to impress everyone. P=sum from k=0 to n of (x)^(m-k)*(1-x)

Sorry for the hurried lack of latex, it's x^(m-k), and that term is multiplied by (1-x)

2. Relevant equations
    Uh-oh

3. The attempt at a solution

Unfortunately this isn't really homework and I don't even know where to start, so I guess it'd be too much to ask to just do it! If someone could just get me started methinks hazy memories could kick in

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi blochwave! :smile:

Well, most of it is constant, so it's (x^m)(1-x)∑x^(-k),

(or is it (x^-m)(1-x)∑x^k ?)

so all you have to sum is ∑x^(-k). :smile:

(or ∑x^k)

4. Apr 1, 2008 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume you mean,

[tex]P = \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{n-k}(1-x) = (1-x)\sum_{k=0}^{n}\frac{x^n}{x^k}[/tex]

[tex] = (1-x)\left(x^n+x^{n-1} + x^{n-2} + \ldots + x^2 + x +1\right)[/tex]

[tex] = \left(x^n+x^{n-1} + x^{n-2} + \ldots + x^2 + x +1\right) - \left(x^{n+1}+x^{n} + x^{n-1} + \ldots + x^3 + x^2 +x\right)[/tex]

Notice that all the terms where the exponent is between n and 1 inclusive cancel leaving,

[tex]P = 1-x^{n+1}[/tex]

Edit: Ooops, I thought the m was an n, never mind. See TT's post.

5. Apr 1, 2008 #4
    You guys rock so hard

EDIT: Unfortunately I don't

A)It WAS x^(m-k), m is a constant distinct from n, sorry

it was (1-x)^k, to make it I believe more difficult

6. Apr 1, 2008 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So the series is,

[tex]P = \sum_{k=0}^{n}x^{m-k}\left(1-x\right)^k[/tex]

Correct?

7. Apr 1, 2008 #6
    Yes, I wrote it down this time to avoid further embarrassment >_>

8. Apr 1, 2008 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The contribution from the x(m-k) term will be similar to the series detailed in post #3. For the contribution of the parenthesised term, one may consider using the binomial theorem.

Edit: I'm curious as to your line of work, in what context did the series arise?

9. Apr 1, 2008 #8
    I don't even know what he's doing it for, it's something to do with probabilities like I said

Check this though: I did the ratio convergence test to make sure he didn't ask a stupid question, forgetting that it only works if the series is geometric

Well if you divide any subsequent terms you get x^-1(1-x), which I realized is r

so the series can be written as x^m[r]^k, if a=x^m, r is that thing above(I checked this for at least the first few terms), you can just write down the solution to a geometric series using those terms and BAM

Did I do good? He's an aerospace engineer and I have a degree in physics, we work for an engineering consulting type place. I felt obliged to solve this after I didn't know his other question of which was more efficient, a turbofan or turboprop :(

Edit: Well duh, it's a finite series, I shouldn't have even been doing a convergence test, BUT in the process I found out I could rewrite it as a geometric series, and right is right. I hope

10. Apr 1, 2008 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know what, that's real nice blochwave, I didn't spot that. Looks good to me :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?