Ohm's law and resistivity, again

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving fabricating a uniform wire out of 1.00 g of copper with a resistance of R=0.500 Ohm and a density of d=8920 kg/m3. The participants discuss finding the length and diameter of the wire using the equation R=pL/A and solving for L by multiplying both sides by volume. They also discuss finding the diameter using the equation A=pi*r^2 and finding the radius by taking the square root of r^2. The final answers are 1.82 m for the length and 0.28 mm for the diameter.
Marbles
Sorry everyone, I forgot to post my efforts in solving the problem, so here I go again:

The question says: Suppose you wish to fabricate a uniform wire out of 1.00 g of copper. If the wire is to have a resistance of R=0.500 Ohm, and a density of d=8920 kg/m3, and if all the copper is to be used, what will be the:

a)length of the wire? >>ans. is 1.82 m

b) diameter of the wire? >>ans. is 0.28 mm

The equation is: R=p(rho)*l(length)/A(cross sectional area)

I found the area only, I'm lost!
But at least, based on the area, my diameter is supposed to be correct, but it wasn't!
I got 0.001>>lol

Anyways, I will show you what I did to find the area and the diameter:

First I found the volume of the wire: v=m(mass)/d(density)=0.001 kg/(8920 kg/m3)
and I got 1.12e(-7) m3

Then I found height, guess how!

R=p*l/A right?? ok, I canceled the length on top (numerator) with the length in the area equation: L*h and I was left with R=p/h, which means h=p/R=1.72e(-80) (rho or resistivity of copper, got it from our textbook)/0.5= 3.44e(-8) m

Now I substituted both values in the formula: A=v/h=1.12e(-7)/3.44e(-8)=3.25 m2

Now I used it to find the diameter: d=A/pi=3.25/3.14(pi)= 0.001 mm

I know that there are several mistakes, so I'd like you all to help me improve my solution and also help me find the length. I'd really appreciate that!

Physics news on Phys.org
R= Resistance
p = Resistivity
A = Area
L = Length
V = Volume
m = Mass
D = Density

R = pL/A

Rearrange

R/p = L/A

V = m/D = LA

Now, multiply each side by the volume

V(R/p) = LA(L/A)

VR/p = LAL/A = L2

Sqrt(VR/p) = L

That's a true beauty and I'm proud of it. I'm sure you can work it from here.

*I normally wouldn't give such a direct answer, but this one baffled me and took a lot of effort.

Last edited:
wow I get everything, except that, why did we multiply both sides by v??

Marbles said:
wow I get everything, except that, why did we multiply both sides by v??

Well we know volume.

So, by multiplying each side by it we can cancel out the area value, leaving only length.

This means instead of having two unknowns (A and L) we only have one (L).

It's like adding a constant to each side.

I know that area is going to be canceled...but in what sense are we doing this? why? what makes u know that this is the way it's going to work? I'm not getting it!

We're doing it so that instead of there being 2 unknowns, we only have 1.

So long as A and L are unknown, it is impossible to solve. So by introducing volume on each side, all it does is remove the A value so we don't have to worry about it.

It's purely to reduce the equation so we can solve it.

Perhaps you should plug in the values and see if it works?

aha I see...so that's how it works! wow! I'd never be able to think this way!
But wait! what about the diameter?

What about the diameter?

I'd assume the wire is round:

A=pi*r2.

Now you know volume and you know length. Leaving only r to find.

V = A*L

isn't it V/L=pi*r^2??
we find r^2 then square root? then why am I getting different answers?

Right hang on, I'll work it out myself.

OK

a) answer I got was 1.825m - note resistivity is 1.68E-8 not 1.72E-80 as you have above.

b) answer I got was 2.8E-4m or 0.28mm - remember, the number you get at the end is the radius, you double it for diameter.

Both agree with the answers you gave in the OP.

omg how did u solve for r?? I'm not able to get it right no matter what I do!

V = AL

V/L = A

A=pi(r2)

A/pi = r2

Sqrt(r2) = r

2r = Diameter

Marbles said:
omg how did u solve for r?? I'm not able to get it right no matter what I do!

Are you getting the right answer for the length?

yes I am getting the right answer for the length!

Oh yay! I finally got it right! I'm really glad! Thank you so much for you help and support...and above all, your patience!

What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points. This means that if the voltage increases, the current also increases, and if the voltage decreases, the current decreases.

What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electric current. It is a material property that is dependent on factors such as temperature, composition, and impurities.

What is the formula for Ohm's Law?

The formula for Ohm's Law is V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. This formula shows the relationship between these three variables and can be rearranged to solve for any of the three.

How does temperature affect resistivity?

As the temperature of a material increases, the resistivity typically increases as well. This is due to the increased movement of atoms and electrons, which creates more collisions and decreases the material's ability to conduct electricity.

Can Ohm's Law be applied to all materials?

No, Ohm's Law is only applicable to materials that have a constant resistance, known as ohmic materials. Materials such as diodes and transistors do not follow Ohm's Law and require more complex equations to describe their behavior.