Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oil temperature in a hydraulic hand pump

1. Jul 2, 2009 #1
    If anyone here has experience with hydraulic hand pumps(those 10000 psi models), could you tell me how hot the oil, and by extenstion the pipes get during compression?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not familiar with this particular scenario. I would surmise, though, that anything hand-operated will experience an almost unnoticeable change of temperature. My 12-tonne bottle jack doesn't even warm up. Don't take my word for it, though; there are experts in fluid dynamics who will be responding soon.

4. Jul 2, 2009 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The only ones I use are the very high pressure but extremely low volumetric flow. They are used to pressurize cylinders for things like stretching of shafts prior to tightening a nut. Those have no appreciable temperature increase.

5. Jul 2, 2009 #4
    can they be used to sustain a 10000 psi pressure for an extended period of time? what make is it?

6. Jul 3, 2009 #5
    High velocities of operations are behind increased temperature, high pressure is not.

Whether something can hold 10000psi for extended periods depends on its structural design.

7. Jul 3, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I would expect that, as with most hydraulic mechanisms, you can just lock out the back-flow. The pump then has nothing to do, so the duration is meaningless. Just pressurize the system and close the valve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook