Problem with different hydraulic connection sizes on CNC machines

In summary, the speaker is supplying a Venturi Vac to clients that is installed directly on their CNC Machine Coolant Pumps. The problem is that each machine has different connection sizes, so the speaker has to inspect and supply different fittings for each machine. They are considering mounting the Venturi onto the machine body, but are unsure if there is a "one-size-fits-all" solution. The speaker suggests having both 3/4" and 1" Tee connectors with adapters in stock and making the thread size a required part of the purchase order. Alternatively, they could ask for machine details from the manufacturer or charge extra for additional inspection.
kunalvanjare
Hello guys,

I am supplying a Venturi Vac to my clients which is installed directly on their CNC Machine Coolant Pumps (photo attached).

This is done by introducing a Tee connection on the discharge end of the pump as shown. The straight line of the tee is connected to the hydraulic coolant pipe, whereas the bypass port is where I install my Venturi. The venturi produces a vacuum with which I recover coolant from the waste bin(it passes through an inline filter).

Now the problem here is that most machines have a variety of connections. For example, some pumps have a 1" BSP where some have 3/4" BSP and some other thread standards as well. So this requires me to inspect each machine beforehand and then supply each set with the appropriate fittings for each machine.

Isn't there a way I could simplify this? Right now the Venturi is installed directly to the pump. I eventually intend to mount it onto the machine body using a magnetic plate. But I don't know how I can find a 'one-size-fits-all' type of a connection, if even there is one.

The motive in the venturi is the coolant from the pump, so I cannot use a vacuum pump or any such external drivers.

Any help will be great. Thank you

Attachments

• connection.jpeg
    connection.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 117
Engineering news on Phys.org
You have no choice but to supply both 3/4” and 1” Tee connectors with a reduced stem or adaptor for your extension.

Have your 'standard' size plumbing and various adapters in stock.

When they place the order, make the thread size/pitch a required part of the purchase order; otherwise advise them that they are to supply any needed adapters. (or maybe make, model, and year or serial number for each machine. Then a phone call to the machine manufacturer for details.)

This, of course, doesn't work for all business models. If you are presenting as a 'complete, no problem' solution, then you have to inspect for fit. (Or maybe charge extra for the additional trip and time.)

Cheers,
Tom

1. What is the problem with different hydraulic connection sizes on CNC machines?

The problem with different hydraulic connection sizes on CNC machines is that it can lead to compatibility issues and potential malfunctions in the machine's hydraulic system. This can result in decreased performance and productivity, as well as increased maintenance and repair costs.

2. How do different hydraulic connection sizes affect the CNC machine's performance?

Different hydraulic connection sizes can affect the CNC machine's performance by causing pressure imbalances and fluid leaks, which can result in inaccurate movements and positioning of the machine. This can also lead to decreased cutting precision and overall efficiency.

3. Can different hydraulic connection sizes be easily fixed or replaced?

In most cases, different hydraulic connection sizes can be fixed or replaced by using adapters or fittings to connect the different sizes together. However, this may not always be a simple or cost-effective solution, and it is best to ensure compatibility before purchasing or using a CNC machine.

4. Are there any preventative measures to avoid issues with different hydraulic connection sizes?

Yes, there are preventative measures that can be taken to avoid issues with different hydraulic connection sizes on CNC machines. This includes carefully checking and matching connection sizes before purchasing a machine, regularly inspecting and maintaining the hydraulic system, and using only recommended or compatible hydraulic fluids.

5. How can I determine the correct hydraulic connection size for my CNC machine?

The correct hydraulic connection size for a CNC machine can usually be found in the machine's user manual or specifications. If this information is not readily available, it is best to consult with a hydraulic expert or the manufacturer for guidance on selecting the appropriate connection size for your specific machine.