Ok, so this is what happened. I was sitting outside and I opened up a

• Thread starter simbiote3
  • Start date
Ok, so this is what happened. I was sitting outside and I opened up a diet coke. It was fine for several minutes and then out of no where it just started fizzing up. It was almost like dropping a mentos into it but not so violently. It eventually got to the point where there was no more carbination in the soda at all. What I would like to know is how this can happen. As far as I know nothing fell into the drink and it was completely fine before it started fizzing.

Re: Carbination

I must admit that is a little odd... did you set the glass down hard? Do you have an ultrasonic hand? (kidding of course, but if you put a carbonated beverage in an ultrasonic cleaner, it will cause the CO2 to be released at a very rapid rate). I'm kind of stumped and am interested to see if anyone has a good explanation. I thought where you were going with this was related to freezing. I have had drinks (beer specifically) that is liquid when you open it, and then it slowly begins freezing and you can watch the "freeze line" progress down through the bottle, until you're left with a bottle of beer slush... I think the reason behind this is b/c the pressure was high when it was still closed, which lowered the freezing point, but when i opened it, the pressure dropped and was at a temperature that, at ambient pressure, caused it to freeze.

If a wasp drowns itself in the soda this can happen...

What I would like to know is, what is it that can actually cause this? What is the chemical reactions and stuff of that sort.

I still think a simple explanation like a wasp or something is the most likely.
Have you tried to repeat it?