Questions on magnets (multiple so I don't spam the forum)

In summary, it is possible for a magnet to be in the shape of a hollow ball, but its magnetic field will not be spherically symmetric. It would behave the same as other magnets with similar magnetic fields, and if the inside were more magnetic than the outside, it would not change the answer to the question of whether it would pull, push, or have no effect.
Nobody7heGreat
TL;DR Summary
One is it possible and multiple questions based on it (if it's not then the other questions are void)
I want to start this post by saying I don't know much and I'm asking everything here so I don't fill the forum with a million questions. I apologize if this is not how it is done.
My questions are...

Is it possible for a magnet to be in the shape of a hollow ball?1. Would it pull? push? or neither?

2. What happens if you spin a magnetic material of this shape?

3. If the inside were somehow more magnetic than the outside would it change the answer to question 1?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody7heGreat said:
Is it possible for a magnet to be in the shape of a hollow ball?
It is possible for a magnet to be in the shape of a hollow ball, but its magnetic field will not be spherically symmetric. It will have, at least, a dipole moment and possibly higher moments.

Nobody7heGreat said:
1. Would it pull? push? or neither?

2. What happens if you spin a magnetic material of this shape?
It would behave the same as other magnets with similar magnetic fields.

Nobody7heGreat said:
3. If the inside were somehow more magnetic than the outside would it change the answer to question 1?
No.

Likes Nobody7heGreat
Dale said:
It is possible for a magnet to be in the shape of a hollow ball, but its magnetic field will not be spherically symmetric. It will have, at least, a dipole moment and possibly higher moments.

It would behave the same as other magnets with similar magnetic fields.

No.
Thank you thank you

Likes berkeman

1. What are magnets made of?

Magnets are typically made of iron, nickel, cobalt, or a combination of these elements. These materials have special properties that allow them to attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field, which is a force that pulls or pushes on other magnetic materials. This is due to the alignment of the atoms in the magnet, which creates a north and south pole.

3. Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time. This can happen if the magnet is exposed to high temperatures or strong magnetic fields that disrupt the alignment of the atoms. Dropping or hitting a magnet can also cause it to lose its magnetism.

4. What are the different types of magnets?

There are three main types of magnets: permanent, temporary, and electromagnets. Permanent magnets, like the ones on your fridge, have a constant magnetic field. Temporary magnets, like paperclips, only have a magnetic field when they are in the presence of a permanent magnet. Electromagnets are created by running an electric current through a wire and can be turned on and off.

5. What are some practical uses of magnets?

Magnets have many practical uses in our daily lives. They are used in motors, generators, speakers, and hard drives. They are also used in medical equipment, such as MRI machines, and in transportation, such as trains and cars. Magnets are also commonly used in household items like door latches and cabinet closures.