1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Okay, so this is probably very easy, just checking the solution

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Okay guys, I'm new here, and this problem just annoyed me because I believe it's very simple, but it looks like it could be more complicated.

Two large crates, with masses 640 kg and 490 kg, are connected by a stiff, massless spring (k=8.1 kN/m) and propelled along an essentially frictionless, level factory floor by a force applied horizontally to the more massive crate. If the spring compresses 5.1 cm from its equilibrium length, what is the applied force?

2. Relevant equations

I think it's just this one: Fspring = -k*x

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, the only thing that makes it sound at all complicated is that the crates are different masses, and that they talk about mass at all. But I want to say it's just 8.1*(.051) to get kN. Is that it? Or should I take in to account the masses of the boxes. In which case I'm not quite sure where to go.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2
    Looks like you got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook