Static Friction and Frictional Force Ranking Task

In summary, all six crates have the same frictional force acting on them, as they are all at rest and are subjected to the same external force. This is due to the fact that the acceleration for each crate is 0, making the formula F - fs = ma equal to F = fs. Therefore, the ranking of the crates based on frictional force is equivalent for all of them.
William2

Homework Statement

Below are six crates at rest on level surfaces. The crates have different masses and the frictional coefficients [given as (μs, μk) ] between the crates and the surfaces differ. The same external force is applied to each crate, but none of the crates move.

Rank the crates on the basis of the frictional force acting on them.
Rank from largest to smallest. To rank items as equivalent, overlap them.

Items:
(mass in kg, μs, μk)
A. 250, 0.2, 0.1
B. 1500, 0.3, 0.1
C. 500, 0.6, 0.3
D. 750, 0.6, 0.5
E. 600, 0.8, 0.5
F. 750, 0.4, 0.3

Homework Equations

fs ≤ μs * m * g

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation fs = μs * m* g and got the answer wrong. Now I am just completely confused. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
William2 said:

Homework Equations

fs μs * m * g

Note the less than or equal sign. The static force of friction could be less than μs*m *g. So, you'll need to bring in another idea to determine what the actual force of friction would be for each block. Hint: Newton's 2nd law.

Last edited:
F=ma

there is no acceleration because the crates do not move, correct? so force would be 0 for all of them?

still a little confused.

Last edited:
The "F" on the left side of the second law represents the net force (i.e., the sum of all the forces acting on the object.)

Ok, sooo

F - μkmg = m * a

there is no acceleration so

F = μkmg

So am I supposed to use μk instead of μs?

No, there is not kinetic friction in this problem since the blocks don't slide. You don't need to use any specific formula for friction. If I push horizontally on a block sitting on a horizontal surface with 5 N of force and it doesn't move, what is the value of the friction force?

TSny said:
No, there is not kinetic friction in this problem since the blocks don't slide. You don't need to use any specific formula for friction. If I push horizontally on a block sitting on a horizontal surface with 5 N of force and it doesn't move, what is the value of the friction force?

5 N.

how would I figure out the horizontal force in this case?

is this equation correct?

F - μs(m * g) = 0 ; where F is the horizontal force

William2 said:
5 N.
Right, 5N. That makes the net force zero which agrees with the second law since we know a = 0.
how would I figure out the horizontal force in this case?

is this equation correct?

F - μs(m * g) = 0 ; where F is the horizontal force

In your problem, you don't need to figure out the horizontal applied force. Whatever it is, it's the same applied force for each crate. So, how would the friction forces compare for the various crates? (Again, μs*m * g is not relevant here since it represents only the maximum possible static friction force and you cannot assume that the forces of friction are at the maximum value.)

Last edited:
so...
would it simply be ranked based on the static frictional coefficient?

the only other known variable is mass.

Let F represent the applied force (assumed horizontal) and let fs represent the friction force. How would you express the net horizontal force using these symbols?

TSny said:
Let F represent the applied force (assumed horizontal) and let fs represent the friction force. How would you express the net horizontal force using these symbols?

Net Force = F - fs

i think

Good. What does the net force have to equal according to the 2nd law?

TSny said:
Good. What does the net force have to equal according to the 2nd law?

it has to equal ma

so... F - fs = m * a

Yes. And what is the value of the acceleration for the crates?

TSny said:
Yes. And what is the value of the acceleration for the crates?

0, i think.

a = F/m ; and net Force, F, is 0

Well, we know a = 0 because we are told that the crates don't move. So, if a = 0, what does the formula F - fs = ma tell you about the amount of friction force?

TSny said:
Well, we know a = 0 because we are told that the crates don't move. So, if a = 0, what does the formula F - fs = ma tell you about the amount of friction force?

if a = 0 , then F = fs ; which was already determined

this seems like a loop to me

Good. So, you should now be able to answer the question. Remember, the problem states that each crate has the same applied force.

OMG, WOW!

IT WAS SO EASY! They are all the same?!

I LOVE YOU!

Hey hey, now :blushing:. Anyway, good work.:smile:

Since all blocks are not moving, the frictional force equal to applied force.
The static frictional force is not constant from zero to maximum μs.
Thus all the frictional forces are equal.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the interactions between the microscopic bumps and ridges on the surfaces.

2. How is the magnitude of static friction determined?

The magnitude of static friction is determined by the coefficient of static friction, which is a property of the two surfaces in contact. It is also affected by the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surfaces.

3. What is the difference between static friction and kinetic friction?

Static friction prevents two surfaces from moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction acts on surfaces that are already in motion. Additionally, the magnitude of kinetic friction is typically less than that of static friction.

4. How can the frictional force ranking task be used in real-world applications?

The frictional force ranking task can be used to determine the maximum force that can be applied to an object without causing it to move. This is useful in designing machinery and structures, as well as in sports and everyday activities such as driving and walking.

5. What factors can affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction can be affected by the type of material, surface roughness, temperature, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces. It can also vary depending on the amount of force applied.