Okay to take Linear Algebra and Calc 3 in the summer?

In summary, it would be okay to take both classes in the summer, but it would be easier if they were not at the same time. Taking linear algebra in the fall would help prepare for the quantum mechanics class that will be taught in spring 2013.
Carnivroar
Would it be too much to take both classes in the summer? Each is 1 month long and in two separate sessions, so they will not be on top of each other. I need to take Calc 3 right away for the fall Semester, that's already settled. As for Linear Algebra, I will need that to prepare for Quantum Mechanics which will be taught in Spring 2013. That means I can take Linear Algebra in the Fall, too, but if I can do it sooner, why not.

Physics news on Phys.org
If they are not at the same time, how could 2 classes be a larger workload than 1 class?

Broccoli21 said:
If they are not at the same time, how could 2 classes be a larger workload than 1 class?

It's 4 months condensed into 1 month. On the bright side, I do tend to do better when I only have 1 class to focus on.

Ok I see - it's whether or not the condensation of linear algebra will be too hard/fast. In that case, it really depends on the rigor of the class/professor. I have taken 1 month classes that are very easy, but they can also be really tough. I'd say take it though, as linear algebra is one of the most useful math courses, and will certainly help in quantum mech. You can take more classes in fall if you get it out of the way. Besides, what could possibly be better than spending a summer doing math? :biggrin:

Broccoli21 said:
as linear algebra is one of the most useful math courses, and will certainly help in quantum mech.

Helps for calc 3 too.

It just depends on your background. Some people have insane workload but they can handle it because they have a really solid foundation. So it all just comes down to how solid your foundation is. That will determine if you can learn at a fast or slow pace and whether you can keep up or will fall behind.

If you take linear algebra over the summer, that will give you a month before the spring session starts to review important material in preparation for your quantum class. Then you will have more room for the fall to focus on other classes.

Sounds like it's okay then.

I asked because one of my professors said it wasn't a good idea to take any math course in the summer.

I'm used to taking summer courses though. And the fact that it leaves me more room to take a CS elective in the fall is definitely a plus.

Spring 2013 will probably be the hardest semester I'll have... I'm planning ahead for it. Differential Equations, QM, Optics, and a CS course.

Thanks all for the answers.

What is the benefit of taking Linear Algebra and Calc 3 in the summer?

Taking these courses in the summer allows students to focus on these challenging subjects without the added stress of a full course load. It also allows students to potentially graduate earlier or have more time to explore other courses during the regular academic year.

Will the rigor and content of these courses be the same as during the regular academic year?

Yes, the rigor and content of these courses should be the same as during the regular academic year. However, since these courses are condensed into a shorter time period, students should expect a more intense and fast-paced learning experience.

Is it possible to receive the same level of instruction and support during the summer?

Yes, most universities offer the same level of instruction and support for summer courses as they do during the regular academic year. This may include office hours, tutoring services, and online resources.

What are the potential challenges of taking these courses in the summer?

Some potential challenges may include the fast pace of the courses, the condensed schedule, and the potential for burnout. It is important for students to manage their time effectively and seek support when needed.

Are there any prerequisites for taking Linear Algebra and Calc 3 in the summer?

This may vary by university, but typically students should have completed Calculus 1 and 2 before enrolling in these courses. It is also important for students to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry.