1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Okay to take Linear Algebra and Calc 3 in the summer?

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    Would it be too much to take both classes in the summer? Each is 1 month long and in two separate sessions, so they will not be on top of each other. I need to take Calc 3 right away for the fall Semester, that's already settled. As for Linear Algebra, I will need that to prepare for Quantum Mechanics which will be taught in Spring 2013. That means I can take Linear Algebra in the Fall, too, but if I can do it sooner, why not.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2012 #2
    If they are not at the same time, how could 2 classes be a larger workload than 1 class?

4. May 18, 2012 #3
    It's 4 months condensed into 1 month. On the bright side, I do tend to do better when I only have 1 class to focus on.

5. May 18, 2012 #4
    Ok I see - it's whether or not the condensation of linear algebra will be too hard/fast. In that case, it really depends on the rigor of the class/professor. I have taken 1 month classes that are very easy, but they can also be really tough. I'd say take it though, as linear algebra is one of the most useful math courses, and will certainly help in quantum mech. You can take more classes in fall if you get it out of the way. Besides, what could possibly be better than spending a summer doing math? :biggrin:

6. May 18, 2012 #5
    Helps for calc 3 too.

7. May 18, 2012 #6
    It just depends on your background. Some people have insane workload but they can handle it because they have a really solid foundation. So it all just comes down to how solid your foundation is. That will determine if you can learn at a fast or slow pace and whether you can keep up or will fall behind.

8. May 18, 2012 #7
    If you take linear algebra over the summer, that will give you a month before the spring session starts to review important material in preparation for your quantum class. Then you will have more room for the fall to focus on other classes.

9. May 19, 2012 #8
    Sounds like it's okay then.

I asked because one of my professors said it wasn't a good idea to take any math course in the summer.

I'm used to taking summer courses though. And the fact that it leaves me more room to take a CS elective in the fall is definitely a plus.

Spring 2013 will probably be the hardest semester I'll have... I'm planning ahead for it. Differential Equations, QM, Optics, and a CS course.

Thanks all for the answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook