1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking Calc 2 and Linear Algebra at the Same Time

1. Mar 8, 2017 #1
    I'm in a bit of a dilemma. At my university, Calc 2 is a prerequisite to Linear Algebra. However, I have been told that it's totally doable to take both at the same time. What do you guys think? Do most universities wave this requirement if you take them concurrently? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2017 #2

Rev

I agree. Almost nothing you learn in calc 2 applies to linear algebra. You might need to know separation of variables, but your teacher will prob teach that to you.

4. Mar 9, 2017 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It depends on what is covered in the Linear Algebra course. If the course covers inner products on function spaces, these are usually defined as integrals, which I assume is what will be covered in your Calc 2 course. Your university has Calc 2 as a prereq for a reason.

5. Mar 9, 2017 #4
    Told by who? The instructor of the Linear Algebra course? OK, then do it.

Someone else? The instructor of the Linear Algebra course is the one who knows most what background material the course requires.

6. Mar 9, 2017 #5
    You could do Calc 3 and Linear Algebra concurrently, you'll want to have the Calc 2 knowledge under your belt when doing Linear Algebra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted