Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Old bottle of "Uranium"?

1. Oct 16, 2015 #1
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to what I found at my work the other day. We have old chemicals (some REALLY old) that turn up in random cabinets from time to time, and this time I was a bottle with a mostly-decayed label where the only thing that could be read was 'uranium' and then (iv) in parenthesees.

Now, it looks like a fine white powder, and at some point I think moisture got into it. I haven't opened it (rule #1?), and I've already contacted my haz-waste person, but I was hoping you guys might be able to give me an idea as to what it is. All of the Uranium dioxides and nitrates that I'm seeing aren't white powders...

I'm attaching the photo because I can't seem to figure out how to insert the image... thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2015 #2
  4. Oct 16, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

UF6 should be U(VI) not (IV).
    It might be hard to judge the color of the powder if the glass is colored as well.

Here is the full-size photo:

uranium-jpg.90263.jpg

5. Oct 16, 2015 #4
    The bottle itself is much taller than fat, not sure why this photo just won't upload properly, but your comment about the glass coloring it makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook