Electroplating - radioactive materials in my drawer?

In summary, when you find a container with a radioactive warning sticker in a drawer of a physics classroom, you should immediately notify your school's principal and safety rep.
Spacey
Hello! I'm a high school science teacher who was recently switched to teaching physics for the first time mid-year.

I remember doing an electroplating demonstration in my gradeschool days for a science fair. It was fascinating and now I want to give my students a chance to do some hands-on science with this very useful process.

This is the website I liked the best because of its simplicity in materials and procedure: https://www.homesciencetools.com/a/electroplating-science-project

I began to check for materials in the old backroom of the physics classroom and found a huge cache of copper and iron electrodes. The trouble is, I also found a plastic container filled with what looks like zinc or iron electrodes, but the container has a Radioactive Material warning on it! I'd attach a picture I took but this forum wants an image url and I don't remember my ancient photobucket password...

My questions (at this moment) are: What could this material be? Why is it radioactive? Is it safe to leave uncovered in a drawer for so long? Is it a joke? What should I do about it (if anything)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest that you press the big red button and refer this up the line to your manager and safety rep. Historically, schools had a massive amount of substances that are not needed for modern courses and which are potential Chemical or Radioactive hazards. They are not part of modern syllabi.
In the UK, at least, if you find a potential hazard it is a legal requirement that you report it. It won't matter if the stuff you have found is harmless.

Likes russ_watters, Spacey and Nidum
Back in the 1970s the school i went to had a small radioactive sources for physics experiments. As i remember it was kept in a lead lined wooden box when not in use but could be handled by students.

I would get yours checked out asap.

Likes Spacey
Spacey said:
I'd attach a picture I took but this forum wants an image url and I don't remember my ancient photobucket password...

you can upload images from your computer quite easily use the upload button, lower right side of the text box you type a response in ... no need for an image url

as far as the sample goes, a local university geology or physics dept would probably gladly take it off your hands
When I was doing geology at university, one of the departments had a solid chunk of pitchblende in a lead crucible, it would make my Geiger counter go crazy.

Likes Spacey and sophiecentaur
Spacey said:
What could this material be? Why is it radioactive? Is it safe to leave uncovered in a drawer for so long?

How do you expect us to answer any of these things? How is this different from "I have an object in my hand now - what is it?"

You need to report it to the proper authorities. A bunch of guys on the internet are not the proper authorities.

Likes nasu and mfb
Vanadium, because I said it was with electroplating stuff and it looked like zinc electrodes. I thought maybe someone had used a radioactive form before that could remember doing so...

Oh, and of course I notified someone, silly. But I still wanted to engage in some 'friendly' inquiry...if that's ok with you, that is ;)

Last edited:
Spacey said:
Hello! I'm a high school science teacher who was recently switched to teaching physics for the first time mid-year.

I remember doing an electroplating demonstration in my gradeschool days for a science fair. It was fascinating and now I want to give my students a chance to do some hands-on science with this very useful process.

This is the website I liked the best because of its simplicity in materials and procedure: https://www.homesciencetools.com/a/electroplating-science-project

I began to check for materials in the old backroom of the physics classroom and found a huge cache of copper and iron electrodes. The trouble is, I also found a plastic container filled with what looks like zinc or iron electrodes, but the container has a Radioactive Material warning on it! I'd attach a picture I took but this forum wants an image url and I don't remember my ancient photobucket password...

My questions (at this moment) are: What could this material be? Why is it radioactive? Is it safe to leave uncovered in a drawer for so long? Is it a joke? What should I do about it (if anything)?

I agree with the other posters- you must report finding that container *immediately* to your principal and whomever is in charge of facilities. Maybe the sticker is a joke- but maybe it's not, and you can't treat it as a joke.

DrDu said:
I would check with a Geiger counter first. It is very sensitive and if it doens't go crazy when you come near the box, you can be sure it is not a radioactive material.
Compare to page 27 from here:
http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub815_web.pdf

You won't detect alpha radiation with the Geiger counter. Pure alpha emitters are rare, but don't assume something is not radioactive just because a Geiger counter didn't react.

Likes davenn and Spacey
mfb said:
, but don't assume something is not radioactive just because a Geiger counter didn't react.

Tritium, for example, will not set off a Geiger counter with a typical window.

As for saying it looks kind of like zinc (or earlier, iron) doesn't help much with identification. "It didn't look radioactive" is not a very good argument.

What is electroplating?

Electroplating is a process in which a thin layer of metal is deposited onto a conductive surface using electrical currents. This is done to enhance the appearance, durability, or conductivity of the surface.

How does electroplating work?

In electroplating, an object is first cleaned and placed in a solution containing the metal ions that will be deposited. The object is then connected to a power source, which causes an electrical current to flow through the solution and onto the object. This current causes the metal ions to be attracted to and deposit onto the object, creating a thin layer of metal.

What are radioactive materials?

Radioactive materials are substances that emit radiation, which can be harmful to living organisms. These materials have unstable nuclei that undergo radioactive decay, releasing energy in the form of particles or waves. Some examples of radioactive materials include uranium, plutonium, and radium.

Can electroplating involve radioactive materials?

Yes, electroplating can involve radioactive materials. In some cases, radioactive isotopes may be used in the solution to deposit metal onto the object. However, proper safety measures and regulations must be followed to ensure the safe handling and disposal of these materials.

Is it safe to have radioactive materials in my drawer?

No, it is not safe to have radioactive materials in your drawer. Radioactive materials can emit harmful radiation, which can be dangerous to your health and the environment. If you suspect that there may be radioactive materials in your drawer, it is important to seek professional assistance to handle and dispose of them properly.