On a calculator, pressing = more than once

• Thread starter Ganesh Ujwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the conversation discusses why pressing the equals button repeatedly on a calculator results in an increasing answer instead of the expected constant answer. It is explained that this is due to a recursive operation being applied, and it is suggested to try different examples to better understand how the calculator works. It is also noted that this is not a manufacturing error, but a design feature.
Ganesh Ujwal
In calculator, when we press = more than one times, why answer will get change?
yesterday, i pressed 1+1 then i press = it gives 2, again i press = it gives 3, why if answer is 2 why it is showing 3, all calculators like this showing, is this manufacturing error?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well, my calculators don't do that, but what my calculator does do is that it has an ans button (short for previous answer), so if you press
1 =
then 1 appears as the answer, then press
ans + 1 =
then 2 appears, now just press = again, then 3 appears, etc. because ans is updated as you go along. This makes for easily applying recursive equations, such as quickly finding a good approximation to a root of a function using Newton's method.

Maybe this is what your calculator is doing? Can you try
1+2==
2+1==
2+2==
and post the results for all of these?

It's applying a recursive operation, as Mentallic said.

In the "classic" Casio calculators (don't know how the new ones are designed), simply pressing "=" repeatedly wouldn't do the job. Instead you needed to press the operation key, e.g. "+" or "X" twice in succession. Then a "K" symbol would appear on the display, signifying entry into "constant" mode. In this state, repeatedly pressing "=" would recursively apply the required operation.

E.g. To recursively add two to various inputs you would do:

2 + +

and a "K" symbol would appear.

Now to just count in twos, you would keep pressing "=" to get "4, 6, 8..." ad infinitum.

To add two to a different input you can key it in, then press "=", e.g.

103 =

which would yield 105.

I guess the modern calculators don't need you to explicitly enter K mode. But I consider the "old-fashioned" mode of operation more robust by far because it's fairly easy to mistakenly double-press "=" and if you might've unwittingly applied an operation twice without actually meaning to.

@Curious3141 i think you didn't understand my question, why is answer is changing due it is manufacturing error or not?

Ganesh Ujwal said:
@Curious3141 i think you didn't understand my question, why is answer is changing due it is manufacturing error or not?
I don't think you understood his answer.

Curious3141 said:
It's applying a recursive operation

And if you cared to actually digest what has been written (if you have read much of it at all) then you'd notice that for us to help you further, since we don't know what calculator you're using - and it should be evident by now that many calculators work differently, then doing this might help:

Mentallic said:
Can you try
1+2==
2+1==
2+2==
and post the results for all of these?

And no, it's very unlikely to be a manufacturing error. It's more of a software design feature that the developers decided to go with.

Ganesh Ujwal said:

It's not an error. Pressing equals repeats the operation on the currently displayed result. e.g. 42+1 = 43 ... press equals again and you'll get 43+1 = 44.

1. Why does pressing = more than once on a calculator give different results?

Pressing = more than once on a calculator can give different results because it repeats the last operation. For example, if you press 2 + 3 = and then press = again, it will give you the result of 5 + 3, which is 8.

2. Can pressing = multiple times on a calculator cause errors?

Yes, pressing = multiple times on a calculator can cause errors. This is because it can lead to unintended repeated operations, resulting in incorrect calculations. It is important to only press = once to get the desired result.

3. How does pressing = multiple times affect the memory of a calculator?

Pressing = multiple times on a calculator does not affect the memory. The calculator will only store the last operation and will not save any previous calculations. Each time = is pressed, the calculator will perform the same operation on the last result.

4. Is there a benefit to pressing = more than once on a calculator?

There is no benefit to pressing = more than once on a calculator. It will not give a more accurate result and can potentially lead to errors. It is best to only press = once to get the intended calculation.

5. Can I undo pressing = multiple times on a calculator?

No, most calculators do not have an undo function. Once = is pressed, the calculator will only store the last operation and will not save any previous calculations. It is important to double check the calculation before pressing = to avoid any errors.