On the decay of the neutral Sigma particle

In summary: But it's worth trying, as it could provide valuable information about the weak interaction and its potential violation of symmetry. In summary, the neutral Σ particle decays almost always to one γ(or two) and a neutral Λ due to the dominance of strong and electromagnetic interactions. While decaying to a proton and a negative pion is possible through weak interactions that do not conserve strangeness, it is forbidden due to the weak interaction being significantly weaker. There have been attempts to measure the branching ratio for decays to a proton and a negative pion, but it has not been verified experimentally. Overall, it is rare for possible electromagnetic decays to be suppressed enough to make weak decays compete with them in particle physics.
Joker93
Hello!
I wanted to ask why does the neutral Σ decay almost always to one γ(or two) and a neutral Λ.
Why can't it decay to anything else?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A possible decay for the neutral Σ particle that I have found is the one which it decays to a proton and a negative pion. But, I don't know why this is a forbidden decay. A friend pointed out that this decay does not conserve strangeness, although I have found that this decay could happen(possibly) through weak interactions which do not conserve strangeness. So, I don't know why this is forbidden.

Joker93 said:
Hello!
I wanted to ask why does the neutral Σ decay almost always to one γ(or two) and a neutral Λ.
Why can't it decay to anything else?
Thanks!
It could.
Anything else is by 9 or more orders of magnitude slower.

I merged your two threads as they are about the same question.

If a particle can decay via the strong or electromagnetic interaction, then these decays will dominate. The weak interaction is weak - these decays are not impossible, but they are only relevant if there is no alternative to it (and typically the particles are long-living in this case).

Thank you!

mfb said:
If a particle can decay via the strong or electromagnetic interaction, then these decays will dominate. The weak interaction is weak - these decays are not impossible, but they are only relevant if there is no alternative to it (and typically the particles are long-living in this case).
Not quite "will", "no alternative". Compare with internal transition of nuclear isomers. There are excited states of nuclei for which electromagnetic decay to a lower lying state is possible but difficult enough that decay via weak interaction (beta decay) is a relevant competing process, or the prevalent ones.
Elementary particles are simpler than nuclei and such cases are rare. Neutral sigma behaves as an excited state of uds, and electromagnetic decay to the lowest uds state, which is lambda, prevails by 9 orders of magnitude over weak decay straight from the excited state.

I think it is worth pointing out that there theoretically should be a branching ratio of order ##10^{-3}## to ##\Lambda e^+e^-## mediated by an off shell photon at tree level. I do not think this has been verified experimentally.

I‘m not aware of measurements of the branching fraction but the decay has been used to determine the parity. Example - they found 314 events with a ##\pi^0##!

@snorkack: As this thread is about particle physics I didn’t consider nuclear isomers.
I don’t know any case in particle physics where possible electromagnetic decays are suppressed sufficiently to make weak decays compete with them.

mfb said:
I‘m not aware of measurements of the branching fraction

They don't exist. The Dalitz decay experiments were done in the 1960's using bubble chambers. While they can see the Dalitz decays, they have no means of normalizing to any measured decay.

mfb said:
I don’t know any case in particle physics where possible electromagnetic decays are suppressed sufficiently to make weak decays compete with them.

We are about an order of magnitude away, perhaps two. The [itex]J/\psi[/itex] is probably the best candidate, since it can be copiously produced, easily identified, and has a relatively small non-weak decay width of about 90 keV. Decays that are promising are [itex]J/\psi \rightarrow D +[/itex] anything and [itex]J/\psi \rightarrow [/itex] neutrinos.

If it were easy, they would already have done it!

1. What is the neutral Sigma particle?

The neutral Sigma particle, also known as the Sigma zero or Σ⁰, is a subatomic particle that belongs to the baryon family. It is composed of three quarks, specifically one up quark, one down quark, and one strange quark, and has a net charge of 0.

2. How does the neutral Sigma particle decay?

The neutral Sigma particle can decay via the strong nuclear force into a Lambda baryon and a pion. This process is known as the "nonleptonic weak decay" and has a relatively short timescale of about 8.9 × 10^-11 seconds.

3. What is the significance of studying the decay of the neutral Sigma particle?

Studying the decay of the neutral Sigma particle can provide valuable insights into the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of subatomic particles. It can also help us better understand the structure and properties of baryons and the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. How is the decay of the neutral Sigma particle observed and measured?

The decay of the neutral Sigma particle is observed and measured using high-energy particle accelerators and detectors. These tools allow scientists to create and study the particles in controlled environments, and gather data on their properties and behavior.

5. Are there any practical applications of studying the decay of the neutral Sigma particle?

While the primary focus of studying the decay of the neutral Sigma particle is on advancing our understanding of the universe, there are some potential practical applications as well. For example, the knowledge gained from these studies could aid in the development of new technologies such as medical imaging devices and energy sources.