Tau Decay: More Pions, Less Ratio?

In summary: It's not that simple. I don't think there is an I-level explanation for why. There's not even a single simple A-level explanation: it's multiple factors.
BillKet
Hello! Tau decay has a branching ratio to a charged pion + neutral pion + tau neutrino much bigger than to a charged pion and a tau neutrino. Based on consideration of available phase space, I would imagine that adding an extra pion would decrease the branching ratio. Why is this happening? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The decay is actually [itex]\tau \rightarrow \rho \nu[/itex] followed by [itex]\rho^\pm \rightarrow \pi^\pm \pi^0[/itex]. The reason is that the virtual W couples more strongly to the rho than the pion, but I don't think there is an I-level explanation for why. There's not even a single simple A-level explanation: it's multiple factors.

Vanadium 50 said:
The decay is actually [itex]\tau \rightarrow \rho \nu[/itex] followed by [itex]\rho^\pm \rightarrow \pi^\pm \pi^0[/itex]. The reason is that the virtual W couples more strongly to the rho than the pion, but I don't think there is an I-level explanation for why. There's not even a single simple A-level explanation: it's multiple factors.
Thanks a lot! So the W boson decays into an up/down pair, but for some reason that pair has a higher probability to form a rho meson than a pion? Iso ne of the reason related to the fact that the rho is a vector while the pion is a scalar, while W is a vector?

BillKet said:
Iso ne of the reason related to the fact that the rho is a vector while the pion is a scalar, while W is a vector?

It's not that simple. I don't think there is an I-level explanation for why. There's not even a single simple A-level explanation: it's multiple factors.

While the purely leptonic decays are quite easy to understand by just using perturbation theory to the electroweak standard model, QFD, the semi-leptonic decays involving hadrons and the strong interaction, is not so easy to understand from simple analytic principles. An important theoretical tool is to use the approximate chiral symmetry of QCD in the light-quark sector to derive effective hadronic models. Finally there are also some phenomenological models. In connection with the electromagnetic (and maybe also for the weak) interaction of hadrons, particularly pions, the socalled vector-meson-dominance model is quite successful. If I remember right, for the decay via vector and axial-vector currents you need both, direct decays as well as decays vial ##\rho## and ##a_1## mesons. Above, I've quoted a review paper which seems to me pretty up to date concerning ##\tau## physics.

1. What is tau decay?

Tau decay is the process by which a tau particle, a subatomic particle with a negative charge, breaks down into smaller particles.

2. What are pions?

Pions are subatomic particles that are created during the decay of a tau particle. They have no charge and are the lightest of the mesons.

3. Why does tau decay result in more pions?

This is due to the conservation of energy and momentum. When a tau particle decays, it releases energy which can be used to create more particles. Since pions are the lightest mesons, they are the most likely to be created.

4. What is the significance of the "less ratio" in tau decay?

The "less ratio" refers to the ratio of pions to other particles created during tau decay. This ratio can be used to study the properties of the tau particle and its decay process.

5. How does tau decay contribute to our understanding of particle physics?

Tau decay is an important process to study in particle physics as it provides insight into the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. By studying the decay products, scientists can learn more about the properties and interactions of subatomic particles.