Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On the invertibility of symmetric Toeplitz matrices

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    I am curious if anyone knows conditions on the invertibility of a symmetric Toeplitz matrix. In my research, I have a symmetric Toeplitz matrix with entries coming from the binomial coefficients.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ex:
    [6 4 1 0 0]
    [4 6 4 1 0]
    [1 4 6 4 1]
    [0 1 4 6 4]
    [0 0 1 4 6]

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In general, a matrix must be nonsingular to possess an inverse. This means that the rows or columns must be linearly independent. A nonsingular matrix cannot have a zero eigenvalue.

It is known that a bisymmetric (symmetric about each diagonal) matrix such as yours has a bisymmetric inverse, should the inverse exist.

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3
    I have gone through a standard graduate level linear algebra text and have checked all of the usual methods (finding the eigenvalues, determinant, et c.). This works fine for individual cases, but I am trying to prove this for a family of square matrices.

In particular, I was hoping someone knew of a paper in which someone showed the symmetric Toeplitz matrices are invertible if they satisfy some simpler condition, e.g., the main diagonal has a certain magnitude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook