One corner short of a pentagon What does it mean?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mishrashubham
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mean Short
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 5K views
mishrashubham
Messages
599
Reaction score
1
"One corner short of a pentagon"...What does it mean?

Ok I read this phrase somewhere and I have no idea what it means. Apparently it's a North American thing and is something related to someone's personality or stuff like that.

Can anyone tell me what it is supposed to mean?
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


There is something missing in that person's mentality.
 


The person being described is a square :) You may not be old enough to get that joke...

I haven't heard that one. There are a lot of
Code:
He is [fill in the blank] short of [fill in the blank] 
 ex: He is one card short of a full deck
sayings. They all are references to someone's lack of intelligence.

I guess this one is a more geometric approach.
 


I have to admit I've never seen that phrase before, but a Google search turns up a lot of hits for it. Live and learn!

I do remember seeing another phrase with the same pattern "one ______ short of a ______", but I can't remember what it is! I guess I must be starting to fit that description. :rolleyes:

[added] Aha, now I remember it: "one brick short of a full load." Jim's version also rings a bell in the back of my head.
 


Let's make up one for physicists:

"One electron short of a full shell." :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: AlexB23


jtbell said:
Let's make up one for physicists:

"One electron short of a full shell." :biggrin:
A less than noble personality.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: AlexB23


jim mcnamara said:
The person being described is a square :) You may not be old enough to get that joke...

I haven't heard that one. There are a lot of
Code:
He is [fill in the blank] short of [fill in the blank] 
 ex: He is one card short of a full deck
sayings. They all are references to someone's lack of intelligence.

I guess this one is a more geometric approach.

Ah I see... I guess it makes sense.

Jimmy Snyder said:
There is something missing in that person's mentality.

Knowing you though, I was at first not sure whether to take this as the real thing or yet another joke.
 


Jimmy Snyder said:
There is something missing in that person's mentality.
or someone missing
 


jtbell said:
"One electron short of a full shell." :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
A less than noble personality.

Yes, probably rather greedy.
 


jtbell said:
Yes, probably rather greedy.
as halides tend to be with respect to electrons - fluoride being the worst offender.
 


micromass said:
What about "One corner short of a circle"?

I wish I could have that many corners...:rolleyes:
 


His elevator doesn't go all the way to the top floor.

One taco short of a combination plate.

Dumber than a bag of hammers.

All things my son has said about his boss.
 


A sandwich short of a picnic.

Not the brightest bulb in the lamp.

Doesn't have both oars in the water.

He has a mind like an ink blotter, he soaks it all up, but gets it all backwards.
 


One banana short of a bunch.

Behind the door when they gave out the brains.

Thick as two short planks.

Given that the original is supposed to be an American saying, is there extra resonance in "a pentagon" versus "the Pentagon"? Quotes about military intelligence being an oxymoron abound.
 


These are even funnier when you mix them:

"Not the sharpest bulb in the box."
 


Ben Niehoff said:
These are even funnier when you mix them:

Thick as a Happy Meal.
Not the sharpest knife in the brains.
Doesn't have two short planks in the water.

I think I'm going the wrong way; these are actually making some sense.
 


Some of the previous comments were quite humorous.

But seriously though, it must be said that in the American vernacular, the term "square" is not an insult to intelligence. Instead it means dull, conformist, overly conventional or out of touch with current trends.

(This post is square, for example.)
 


Here's one I've heard a lot:

"One sandwich short of a picnic."

Here are a few I made up:

"One branch short of a hyperbola."
"One lambda short of a fundamental frequency."
"One surjective mapping short of a finite integral domain."
 


One epsilon away from being negative.

(This is adapted from the shortest mathematical joke: ##\mbox{Let }\varepsilon<0##.)
 


@Pythagorean - Wait until you are my age. You will fight tooth and nail to keep every neuron... uh what was I saying...?
 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNBWf54RvsI

This song has oodles of them.