Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One dimensional Coulomb potential

1. Jan 22, 2014 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Consider the potential below:
    [itex]
    V(x)=\left\{ \begin{array}{cc} -\frac{e^2}{4\pi\varepsilon_0 x} &x>0 \\ \infty &x\leq 0 \end{array} \right.
    [/itex]
    The time independent Schrodinger equation becomes:
    [itex]
    \frac{d^2X}{dx^2}=-\frac{2m}{\hbar^2} (E+\frac{e^2}{4\pi\varepsilon_0 x})X
    [/itex]
    I wanna find the ground state wave function.This is how I did it:
    [itex]
    Y=\frac{X}{x} \Rightarrow x\frac{d^2Y}{dx^2}+2\frac{dY}{dx}+(\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}x+\frac{me^2}{2 \pi \varepsilon_0\hbar^2})Y=0
    [/itex]
    But because bound states of this potential are for small x and the ground state has a very very small x,I assumed [itex] x\to 0 [/itex] and considered the approximated equation below:
    [itex]2\frac{dY}{dx}+\frac{me^2}{2\pi \varepsilon_0 \hbar^2}Y=0[/itex],whose answer is [itex] Y=A\exp{ (-\frac{me^2}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 \hbar^2}x)} [/itex] and so [itex] X=Ax\exp{ (-\frac{me^2}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 \hbar^2}x)}[/itex]
    My problems are:
    1-There is noting in X that indicates it is the ground state.What should I do about it? Is it an issue at all?
    2-How can I find energy levels?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2
    You have to solve the exact equation. Finally, applying the boundary condition
    X(0) = 0
    (because of the unfinite potential step) should deliver the discrete spectrum of solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook