Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One dimensional Elastic collision of two identical particle

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone. I've a question that i wondered since the high school. Let's take two identical particles (same mass) that collide frontally. Assume it's an elastic collision. We have to conservate both the momentum and kinetic energy:

v_1 + v_2 = v'_1 + v'_1
    v^2_1 + v^2_2 = v'^2_1 + v'^2_1

(where primes denotes the velocities after the collision). Now I do know the solution: the velocities are swapped among the two particles and here comes my question: since the one I wrote is a symmetric system, why should I not accept the solution where the two velocity are not swapped?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should accept that as a valid solution. What physical situation does it represent?

4. Jan 30, 2016 #3
    Every book I checked does not take into account such a solution. In fact, in order to obtain the desired solution they dived by (v_1 - v'_1) (and same for the v_2). As a physical solution I imagined a moving particle colliding with a static one. In such a situation, the solution where each particle keeps its velocity is represented by the first particle hitting the second one that remains still while the first one goes on. Am I right? Is this possibile?

5. Jan 30, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's simpler than that. Imagine particle B is at rest and particle A is moving towards it at speed ##v##. Particle B closes its eyes and afterwards is still at rest, while particle is moving away at speed ##v##. What has happened? It's very simple!

6. Jan 30, 2016 #5

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you haven't got it yet, here's another clue:

4ea4e79503e29-image.jpg

7. Jan 30, 2016 #6
    Ok thanks Perok that's very illuminating! :D
    In other words IF there is a collision THEN we can assume momentum is transferred, ELSE we have a miss, right?

8. Jan 30, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. I'm suprised none of the books mention this, as it's a good example of having to interpret what is, after all, a perfectly valid mathematical solution. The equations are equally satisfied with no change to either particle.

9. Jan 30, 2016 #8
    I suppose that, being a 1D problem, you cannot admit a miss...

10. Jan 30, 2016 #9
    Both of you got a point. Now you convinced me. Many many thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook